This easy vegan monkey bread recipe uses a simple yeasted dough baked and topped with cinnamon sugar and glaze. This sweet pull-apart bread is much loved by all and perfect for holidays and special occasions!
For the Dough
- 2 tbsp melted vegan butter (30 g)
- 1 1/3 cup warmed dairy-free milk (325 ml, unsweetened almond, soy or cashew)
- 1/4 cup cane sugar (60 g)
- 2 1/4 tsp quick rise yeast (8 g)
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose unbleached flour, sifted (580 g)
- 2 tsp salt (10 g)
For the Cinnamon Sugar Coating
- 1 tbsp cinnamon (15 g)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (75 g)
- 1/2 cup cane sugar (60 g)
- 1/2 cup melted vegan butter or coconut oil (120 g)
For the Glaze
- 1 cup icing sugar (125 g)
- 2 tbsp dairy-free milk (30 ml)
- Prepare Pan: Grease a 10-inch bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside for later.
- Mix Wet Ingredients & Yeast: In a small bowl, mix together the melted butter, warmed milk, sugar and yeast and set aside.
- Mix Flour and Salt: Add the sifted flour and salt to a medium bowl and mix together, then create a “well” in the centre.
- Combine Wet & Dry Ingredients: Pour in the melted butter mixture. Using a wooden spoon, slowly start incorporating flour in with the liquid, and continue to mix until the flour is almost fully combined.
- Knead Dough: Empty the bowl onto a floured surface and continue to knead until a ball has formed and the dough feels silky, usually about 3-5 minutes. Note: If using a stand mixer follow in similar steps, using a dough hook, place flour mixture in bowl and slowly incorporate liquid on speed 1, once dough has started to form, turn the speed up to 5 and mix for 3-5 minutes.
- First Rise: Place the ball of dough in a large, lightly-greased greased mixing bowl and cover it with a tea towel. Place the bowl in a warm, draft-free area in your kitchen and allow dough to rest and double in size, roughly 1 hour.
- Prepare Coatings: While the dough is resting, prepare your coating. In a small bowl mix together the brown sugar, cane sugar and cinnamon. In a separate small bowl, prepare the melted butter ready. Set aside for later.
- Roll Out Dough: Once the dough has rested, turn it out onto a floured surface and roll it out into an 8-inch square.
- Create Dough Balls: Use a knife to cut the square into 1-inch square pieces. Roll each square into a small ball.
- Dip Balls & Add to Pan: One by one, dip each ball in the melted butter, dripping all the excess butter back into the bowl, then roll it in the sugar mixture. Place each dipped ball in the greased bundt pan building upwards in a circular motion around the pan.
- Second Rise: When the bundt pan is full, cover it with saran wrap and place in the same draft-free corner of your kitchen for an additional hour.
- Preheat Oven: When it’s getting close to an hour, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake: Once the dough has risen, place it in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes. The balls should be golden brown when they are ready. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes but no longer or the sugar could over harden in the pan making it difficult to remove. Turn the bread out upside down onto a plate and let cool for an additional 5 minutes.
- Ice & Enjoy: While the bread rests for a few minutes, mix together the dairy-free milk and sugar until the consistency is smooth and shiny. Drizzle the icing all over the top of the bread, letting it drip down the sides. Enjoy right away.
Monkey bread is best to enjoy the day of but will last up to 3 days in a sealed container at room temperature. Let cool completely before storing.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 454
- Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 90 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 7 g
Keywords: vegan monkey bread, vegan pull apart bread