This beautiful salad may be simple but it doesn’t skimp on flavour, texture or nutrition. Made with hearty kale, feel free to make it in advance if needed. This delicious dish can be enjoyed warm or cold and is suitable for a main dish or a healthy side.
For the Salad
- 6 cups de-stemmed and finely chopped kale (approx. 1.5 cups per salad)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 cups chopped broccoli (approx. 1.5 cups per salad)
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup dry French, green or black lentils (approx. 1/2 cup cooked per serving)
For the Tahini Dressing
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Add the lentils to a medium-sized saucepan with 2.25 cups water. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a light simmer. Cook for 20-25 minutes until tender. Drain off any excess water if needed.
- Place the chopped broccoli on a roasting pan and drizzle with 1 tbsp of olive oil or avocado oil. Sprinkle with sea salt. Use your hands to mix, making sure each piece is coated. Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes until tender and starting to brown.
- Place the chopped kale in a bowl and add the other 1 tbsp of olive oil or avocado oil. Use your hands to massage for a few minutes until it’s wilted, dark green and soft.
- To make the tahini sauce, add all the ingredients to a bowl or container and whisk until smooth and creamy.
- To assemble the salad, divide the ingredients between 4 bowls or containers, top with the tahini sauce, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a sprinkle of sea salt and black pepper and serve right away or store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Keywords: lentil kale salad, healthy, simple, easy, plant-based