Pesto is one of my absolute favourite foods. It’s savoury and comforting and oh, so delicious. I used to buy store-bought pesto out of convenience but I now opt for making vegan versions of it at home and they taste great! I’ve made pesto with everything from avocado, to almonds, to swiss chard, to spinach and cilantro. As long as you have lots of garlic and basil you can’t go wrong. This vegan kale walnut pesto is made with kale, basil, walnuts, garlic, olive oil and sea salt.
Pesto Health Benefits
What are the health benefits of this beautiful sauce you ask? Well, where do I start! Actually, I’m not going to list them all here because there are way too many. To begin with, it’s packed with vitamin A, K, iron, protein, healthy omega-3 fatty acids and tons of antioxidants and those are just a few of the reasons to make home-made pesto a part of your diet.
What to Do With Pesto
My favourite thing to do with pesto is use it as a topping for pasta, but it also works great in wraps and sandwiches or as a dip for raw vegetables. Tonight we had our fresh pesto on a bed of organic brown rice fusili with raw red peppers, raw mushrooms, a handful of raw spinach and a few walnuts to top it off. It was perfect. Refreshing, full of flavour and packed-full of vitamins and nutrients.
Vegan Kale Walnut Pesto
To make this perfectly tangy pesto, you’ll need just a few everyday ingredients and just a few minutes. All you need to do is all everything to a food processor or blender, mix it up and you’re done. This pesto is amazing with zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash, rice, on pizza or spread in a fully loaded veggie sandwich.Print
- 2 cups chopped kale leaves, spine removed
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 4 large cloves of garlic
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup extra-vigin olive oil, to desired consistency
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- Add kale, basil, garlic and walnuts to blender or food processor.
- Blend well, stopping to scrape down sides.
- Slowly start to pour olive oil in until you reach desired consistency.
- Continue to blend, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Enjoy tossed with pasta or as a dip or spread.