- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced (1 cup, 150 g)
- 2 stalks celery, washed and diced (1 cup, 130 g)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (2 tbsp, 15 g)
- ½ lb. vegan sausage of choice, sliced into ¼ inch rounds
- 2 serrano peppers, minced (2 tbsp, 10 g)
- 2 medium red peppers, chopped (2 cups, 300 g)
- 1 medium yellow pepper chopped (1 cup, 150 g)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 cups uncooked long or short-grain white rice (400 g)
- 1/2 tsp chilli flake – optional, for heat
- 1 28 oz crushed tomatoes (796 ml)
- 1 cup vegetable stock (250 ml)
- 1 bay leaf
- fresh chopped parsley, optional garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a large oven-safe sauce pot or skillet that has a lid over medium heat (see notes if you don’t have an oven-safe pan). Add olive oil with onions, celery and garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes until fragrant and soft.
- Add sausage and peppers and cook for an additional 6-7 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add spices and rice and cook until rice is lightly toasted, roughly 2 minutes.
- Add crushed tomato, vegetable stock and bay leaf. If you like a little more heat feel free to add chilli flakes here.
- Bring to a rapid boil then reduce to a low simmer and cover.
- Remove from heat and place the pan in the oven, covered to allow rice to cook until tender, approximately 20-25 minutes.
- Serve jambalaya in bowls, garnish with parsley and enjoy!
Oil-Free Option: Replace olive oil with 2 tbsp vegetable broth or water.
Storing: Store in a sealed container in the fridge for 5-6 days or freezer for up to 3 months.
Stovetop Instructions: If you don’t have a pot or skillet that can go in the oven, no need to preheat the oven. Instead of transferring to the oven in step 4, continue simmering lightly on the stovetop until the rice is tender, approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 440
- Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 60 g
- Protein: 24 g
Keywords: vegan jambalaya, vegetarian jambalaya