Serve these crowd-pleasing vegan jalapeño poppers are your next party and watch them disappear!
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for 4 hours up to overnight and drained (150 g)
- 10 fresh jalapeños
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (30 mL)
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast (20 g)
- ⅓ cup water (80 mL)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped green onion or chives
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- panko breadcrumbs for topping
- Soak Cashews: Soak the cashews for at least 4 hours up to overnight (8-12 hours). When ready, drain well.
- Preheat Oven: Preheat the oven to 400 F (200 F) degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prepare Jalapeños: Slice each jalapeño in half lengthwise. Then, using a spoon remove the seeds and the white membrane inside the peppers. Be sure to wear gloves or wash your hands really well after handling the jalapeños.
- Chop: Finely chop the green onion and the cilantro.
- Blend Filling: Add the soaked cashews, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, water and salt to a high-speed blender and blend until completely smooth and thick creamy.
- Mix Filling: Transfer the cashew mixture to a bowl and add the cilantro and green onion. Mix to combine.
- Prepare Breadcrumbs: Add about 1/2 cup of panko crumbs to a shallow plate or bowl. If you run out of breadcrumbs, add more as needed.
- Stuff Jalapeños: Stuff the jalapeño halves with cashew filling then press the filling into the breadcrumbs to coat. Place them on the baking sheet.
- Bake: Bake for 20-25 minutes until the jalapeños are soft and the top is golden. If you like, you can broil them briefly at the end for some extra crunch on top.
- Serve: Let cool for a few minutes before serving. Serve with a sprinkle of green onion, chives or parsley and buffalo sauce on the side, if desired.
If you don’t have time to soak the cashews, pour boiling water over them and let sit for 30 minutes then drain well before using.
Read post above for various substitutions and alternatives.
- Serving Size: 1 popper
- Calories: 55
- Sugar: 2.5 g
- Sodium: 52 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 8 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 2 g
Keywords: vegan jalapeno poppers, baked jalapeno poppers