For the Scrambled Tofu:
- 1/2 a 350 g package of firm or extra-firm tofu
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
- 3 tbsp water
For the Fried Rice:
- 1 cup uncooked brown or white rice
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil (omit and use broth or water for an oil-free recipe)
- 1/2 a small white onion, diced, approx. 1/2 cup
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped, approx. 3/4 cup
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced, approx. 3/4 cup
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen green peas
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
- 1/2 tsp black pepper or more, to taste
- Cook the rice according to package instructions. Once cooked, drain off any excess water. Set the cooked rice aside.
- Crumble about half of the package of firm or extra-firm tofu into a bowl then add the rest of the scrambled tofu ingredients and mix well until all the bits of tofu are coated. Set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat the sesame oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the carrot, celery and garlic and cook for 5-6 minutes until the carrots are softened.
- Add the cooked rice, crumbled tofu, peas, corn, soy sauce and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Let the mixture sit for 1-2 minutes without stirring to allow it to brown and crisp on the bottom. Stir and repeat 1-2 times until everything is heated through.
- Serve right away. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Cooking time does not include time to cook rice.
For spicy fried rice, add 2 tsp of sriracha or 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes when you add the soy sauce.
Keywords: healthy, easy, weeknight, oil-free