- 3 cups unsweetened almond or cashew milk
- 1/2 up full-fat coconut milk, shake well before opening can
- 1/4 cup (38 g) raw cashews (see notes regarding soaking)
- 1/4 cup (65 g) tightly packed, pitted soft dates (see notes for alternative sweetener)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg (add up to 1 tsp, if desired)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract, optional
- 1/8 tsp sea salt, optional
- Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Serve right away either on its own, over ice, heated or with added bourbon or rum. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. It will thicken up a little after sitting in the fridge. Give it a good shake before serving again.
Recipe adapted from Simple Vegan Blog.
If you don’t have a Vitamix or Blendtec, pour boiling water over the cashews and soak for 30 minutes. Drain before using in the recipe. In addition, if your dates or hard and dry, they can be soaked in the same bowl as the cashews. If needed, the cashews can also be soaked at room temperature for 4 hours up to overnight.
For a coconut-free version, omit the coconut milk, increase the cashews to 1/2 cup and start with 2.5 cups milk. Blend and add up to 3 cups milk to adjust the thickness to your prefernece.
I like the consistency when made with 3 cups of almond milk but for thicker eggnog, start with 2.5 cups, blend, test, then slowly add more to reach your desired consistency.
As an alternative to dates, use 3 tbsp maple syrup or agave and reduce the plant-based milk to 2 3/4 cups.
Keywords: egg-free, dairy-free, healthy eggnog, homemade, sugar-free