Vegan Double Chocolate Protein Cookies
These double chocolate protein cookies are made with a secret ingredient that adds protein and fiber to the recipe. Can you guess what it is? It’s beans! This recipe is vegan, gluten-free and oil-free.
Let’s go over the main ingredients you’ll need to make these cookies:
- White beans. You’ll need 1 19 oz can of white beans, which is about 2 cups worth. If you only have a 15 oz can, you’ll need to pop open to cans to get 2 cups worth. I have not tested this recipe with any other variety of beans. White beans are mild in flavour and have a creamy texture perfect for blending into chocolate cookies.
- Nut butter. I’ve made these with sunflower seed butter, peanut butter and almond butter and all work great. For nut-free cookies, use sunflower seed butter.
- Nut milk. You’ll need just a bit of plant-based milk and I’d recommend using almond or cashew. I use unsweetened milk but if you only have sweetened available, that’s fine. You could also use homemade almond milk. I have not tested these with soy or oat milk.
- Cocoa powder. Cocoa powder adds the fudgy, chocolate goodness. Regular cocoa powder works just fine but if you want the extra health benefits, you can use cacao powder.
- Sugar. I used organic cane sugar but you can use coconut sugar or any other variety of granulated sugar.
How to Make these Cookies
These cookies are super easy to make using a food processor.
First, add the beans, milk and nut butter, blend until smooth, then add the rest of the ingredients, except for the chocolate chips, and blend into a creamy batter.
The mixture will be more like batter than dough so you won’t be able to roll it into balls. Use a spoon to drop 12 equal-sized cookies onto a baking tray. They’ll just kinda be blobs..haha. That’s what we’re going for! You can shape them a little bit but no need to make them perfect.
After that, bake away and enjoy!
Vegan Protein Cookie Recipe
They’re smooth, decadent and high in protein and fibre thanks to….you’ll never guess…white beans!
Just look at that ingredient list, it’s so simple! I hope you enjoy these decadent but healthy little treats! They’re a perfect after-dinner fix or mid-day snack, or just a sweet treat anytime you need one.
More Healthy Cookie Recipes
- Chocolate Chip Quinoa Cookies
- Healthy Oat Cookies
- Flourless Peanut Butter Banana Cookies
- Tahini Date Cookies
- 1 x 19 oz. white kidney beans, drained and well-rinsed (just shy of 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter, almond butter or sunflower seed butter (120 g)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk or cashew milk
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (30 g)
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar (60 g)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add the white beans, milk and nut butter to a food processor and mix into a smooth paste.
- Add the sugar, cocoa powder and baking powder and mix until smooth.
- Add the chocolate chips and pulse a few times to combine.
- Prepare a baking tray with a bit of non-stick cooking spray or parchment paper. Drop heaping tablespoons-full of the batter onto the baking tray to form 12 cookies. The batter will seem quite wet but that’s normal. Spread each out around slightly as they won’t spread during baking.
- Bake for 17 minutes, remove and let cool on the pan completely before handling. They will seem under done when you take them out but will firm as they cool.
- Store in the fridge in a sealed container for up to 5 days.
Keywords: white bean cookies, oil-free, healthy, protein, high-fiber, high-protein
This recipe was originally posted January 16, 2015. It was updated September 2019 with new photos and improved recipe instructions.