This tangy potato salad is easy to make with just a few simple ingredients. Enjoy this delicious dish as a side to your favourite Summer meals.
- 2 lbs small red or yellow potatoes, halved
- 3 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard, any variety
- 3 tbsp finely chopped fresh dill, or more to preference
- 3 tbsp minced shallot (approx. 1 small shallot)
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Prepare Potatoes: Rinse and scrub the potatoes then slice in half and place in a large saucepan. Fill the pot with enough water water to cover the potatoes. Add a 1/2 tsp of salt to the water.
- Boil Potatoes: Bring to a boil then reduce heat slightly and cover. Cook for 10-15 minutes, depending on size. They’re ready when you can easily pierce with a fork for knife.
- Drain: Once cooked, reserve a scoop of the cooking water then drain the potatoes and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Mix Salad: Add the rest of the ingredients, season with salt and pepper and mix until thoroughly combined. If desired, add 1-2 tbsp of the reserved potato cooking liquid for creaminess and moisture.
- Serve: Serve right away while warm or chill in the fridge for 1-2 hours before serving to allow flavours to develop.
This recipe makes 4 generous servings so could serve 6-8 as a small side dish.
This salad is best served right away or within a few hours but can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Adding a bit of the potato cooking water creates a bit of a creamy texture when it mixes with the outside of the cooked potatoes. It’s optional and the salad is delicious with or without it.
Keywords: dill potato salad, dijon potato salad