Plant-based cobb salad recipe with coconut bacon, chickpeas, fresh veggies and a zesty shallot red wine vinaigrette.
For the Dressing
- ⅓ cup (72 g) extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 g) whole grain mustard
- 1 tbsp (15 g) maple syrup
- 1 small (20g) shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced or grated
- salt and pepper
For the Coconut Bacon
- 2 cups large flaked coconut (96 g)
- 1 ½ tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp liquid smoke, optional
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
For the Cobb Salad
- 1 19 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (about 2.5 cups)
- ¼ cup parsley or chives, finely chopped
- 7 cups (315g) Romaine lettuce
- 2 cups (250g) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups (225g) cucumber, cut into half-moons
- 1 cup (150g) corn
- 1 large avocado, pitted and sliced
- Prep: Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
- Make Dressing: In a bowl, measuring cup or mason jar, add oil, vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, shallot and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, then whisk or seal and shake to combine.
- Marinate Chickpeas: To a medium bowl, add chickpeas and 3 tbsp of the dressing and the chives or parsley. Stir to coat. Set aside to marinate, stirring occasionally.
- Make Coconut Bacon: To another bowl, add coconut flakes. Drizzle tamari, maple syrup and liquid smoke, if using, over top. Sprinkle with smoked paprika and garlic powder. Stir to coat. Transfer to a baking sheet, spreading out in an even layer. Bake for 1o-13 min, stirring half-way through, until dark golden brown. It may not seem crisp when it comes out of the oven but will quickly crisp up as it cools on the pan. Start watching after 8 minutes as oven temperatures vary and it can burn quickly.
- Assemble Salads: Divide lettuce between bowls. Drizzle a little dressing over the lettuce. Arrange tomatoes, cucumber, corn, avocado and marinated chickpeas on top. Sprinkle with desired amount of coconut bacon. Drizzle remaining dressing over top. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Keywords: vegan cobb salad, vegetarian cobb salad