Delicious, soft and tender, vegan cinnamon rolls loaded with a spiced cinnamon sugar filling. Enjoy warm from the oven, smothered in a heavenly cashew frosting.
For the Dough
- 1 package active dry yeast (8 g)
- 1/2 cup warm water, approx. 110 degrees (125 mL)
- 1 tsp cane sugar (5 g)
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil (80 g)
- 1/2 cup cashew milk at room temperature (125 ml, any dairy-free milk will work here)
- 1/3 cup cane sugar (70 g)
- 1 tsp salt (5 g)
- 3 cups all-purpose unbleached flour (408 g)
For the Filling
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted (30 g)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, lightly packed (100 g)
- 2 tbsp cinnamon (15 g)
- 1 tsp salt (5 g)
For the Frosting
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight and rinsed (145 g)
- 1/2 cup cashew milk (125 mL)
- 1 tsp vanilla (10 g)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup (42 g)
- 1/4 tsp salt (2 g)
- Activate the yeast by placing it in a bowl with warm water and sugar and mixing together. Let stand for 5 minutes until frothy.
- While the yeast is activating, in a separate bowl mix together the dry ingredients (sugar, flour and salt).
- Once the yeast is frothy, add the yeast, room temperature cashew milk and melted coconut oil to the bowl with the dry ingredients, using a fork to slowly mix everything together. Make sure the milk is at room temperature, otherwise it will cause the melted coconut oil to solidify. If you only have cold milk, you can warm it briefly in the microwave or stovetop until it reaches a room or slightly warmer temperature.
- Once the ingredients are fully combined, place on a lightly-floured surface and knead the dough together until a smooth ball is formed, about 3-4 minutes. Put the dough in a lightly-oiled bowl and cover, allow to rest somewhere warm for 1 hour. Try a sunny window, in a warm oven or in the laundry room.
- After the dough has rested, punch it down a few times then roll it out on a floured surface into a 20 x 14-inch rectangle.
- Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon together in small bowl.
- Brush the rolled out dough with the 2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil and sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar to within 1/4 inch of the edges.
- Starting on the short edge (14 inch), tightly roll the dough into a log. Cut into 12 evenly sized pieces and place into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Leave to rest in a warm place for an additional 30 minutes, covered.
- When it’s getting close to baking time, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. When buns are ready, place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- As the buns are baking, prepare the frosting. Take the soaked cashews (drained and rinsed) and place in a high-speed blender with maple syrup, vanilla and cashew milk. Blend until silky smooth, taste and add more maple syrup if you are looking for a sweeter final product. Reserve for later.
- Remove cinnamon buns from the oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes before frosting. It’s best to add the frosting while the buns are warm but not hot, so be sure to let them cool for about 20 minutes before frosting. If they’re too hot, the frosting will melt and if they’re cold, it won’t spread and ooze over them. Once frosted, enjoy while they’re still warm!
Keep refrigerated. Cinnamon buns are best fresh and then consumed within 2-3 days. I like to warm them up a little in the microwave to soften before eating.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 347
- Sugar: 22 g
- Sodium: 473 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Carbohydrates: 51 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 6 g
Keywords: vegan cinnamon rolls, vegan cinnamon buns