- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil (60 g)
- 1/2 cup cane sugar (or white table sugar, 110 g)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce, room temperature (60 g)
- 3 tbsp almond milk (45 mL)
- 1/2 tsp peppermint flavor (I recommend Simply Organic)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (120 g)
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder (33 g)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate (57 g)
- crushed candy canes, for topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Add the melted coconut oil, sugar, applesauce, milk, peppermint extract and vanilla (wet ingredients plus the sugar) to a mixing bowl and whisk vigorously for 30-seconds until completely combined.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt to the bowl and mix until all the dry components have been wetted and you have a thick batter.
- Fold in the chocolate chips until distributed throughout.
- Take a heaping scoop of the batter with a small cookie scoop to form 10 roughly equals-sized cookies, placing them on the prepared baking tray. If you don’t have a cookie scoop, each cookie should be roughly 2 tbsp. Use your fingers to flatten them a little and shape into a circle.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- While the cookies are baking, place a candy cane in a bag and smash with something hard. I used a pepper mill but a small hammer or something along those lines will do the trick.
- As soon as the cookies come out of the oven, sprinkle some crushed candy canes onto each cookie and press them in slightly so they stick.
- Let the cookies cool on the tray for at least 5 minutes before carefully transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely. They will seem underdone when they come out of the oven, so resist the urge to handle them right away. They will firm up perfectly as they cool!
- Let cool completely before storing.
Storing: Store in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 4 days, fridge for up to 2 weeks or freezer for up to 3 months. I love them straight from the fridge!
Be sure to use room temperature applesauce or it will cause the coconut oil to harden.
Gluten-Free Option: Use a gluten-free all-purpose or baking flour blend such as Bob’s Red Mill.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 167
- Fat: 7.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 25 g
- Fiber: 1.5 g
- Protein: 1.6 g
Keywords: chocolate peppermint cookies, vegan chocolate peppermint cookies