- 1 tbsp ground flax mixed with 2 tbsp water
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (or agave)
- 2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk (or other plant-based milk)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (white vinegar or lemon juice also works)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup mini vegan chocolate chips (regular-sized is fine too!)
- 6 tbsp nut or seed butter of choice such as almond butter or sunflower seed butter, optional (2 tsp per muffin)
- Pre-heat over to 400 F.
- Whisk the flax together with the 2 tbsp of water in a small dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the banana with a fork until smooth then mix in the flax mixture, vinegar, maple syrup, almond milk and melted coconut oil.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture, along with the chocolate chips and gently fold together until “just mixed.”
- Spoon some batter into 9 lightly oiled muffin tins, filling them about 1/2 full.
- Add a little dollop of almond butter to the middle of each tin (this step is optional).
- Top off each tin with the rest of the batter. Make sure you spread it around to the sides, completely covering the almond butter.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool in muffin tray before handling.
Keywords: easy, stuffed, whole-wheat, vegan banana muffins, vegan chocolate chip muffins