- 1 heaping cup diced white onion (175 g, 1 small onion)
- 1 cup chopped celery (150 g, approx. 2 stalks)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (20 g)
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 heaping cups peeled and diced yellow potato (340 g, 1 large potato)
- 2 cups peeled and diced carrots (300 g, approx. 4 large carrots)
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 19 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (approx. 2.5 cups, 330 g)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice (15 ml)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- finely chopped parsley, optional, for serving
- Add the onion, garlic and celery to a large soup pot with 1/4 cup of the vegetable broth and cook over medium heat for 5-6 minutes until softened and fragrant.
- Stir in the oregano and thyme and cook for a couple more minutes, stirring often. If the pan starts to dry out, add another splash of broth to loosen any bits sticking to the pan.
- Add everything except for the lemon, bring to a light simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes, uncovered, until the potatoes and carrots are fork tender.
- Transfer about 1/2 of the soup to a blender and blend until completely smooth and creamy. Make sure you allow the steam to escape as you’re blending.
- Pour the blended soup back into the pot with the unblended portion and stir well to combine.
- Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve with fresh chopped parsely.
Storing: Let cool before storing. Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Store in a freezer-safe container in one batch or individual portions for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge if frozen. Reheat soup as needed on the stovetop or in the microwave. If it’s thickened substantially after storing, adjust the consistency by stirring in some water or broth.
- Serving Size: 400 g (approx. 1/5th of recipe)
- Calories: 168
- Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 31 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 7 g
Keywords: vegetable chowder, vegan chickpea soup