This hearty soup is a take on classic vegetable chowder. It’s made with a base of chickpeas, carrot and yellow potato for a hearty and satisfying soup that’s full of protein, fibre, vitamins and minerals. This soup is vegan, gluten-free, oil-free and sugar-free.
- 1 heaping cup chopped white onion (175 g)
- 1 cup chopped celery (150 g)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp each dried thyme and oregano
- 2 heaping cups peeled and diced yellow potatoes (340 g)
- 2 cups peeled and diced carrots (300 g)
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 19 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (approx. 2 cups, 330 g)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp each sea salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup lightly packed, finely chopped parsley
- Cook the onions, garlic and celery in 1/4 cup of the vegetable broth for about 5 minutes. Add more broth if needed so it’s doesn’t stick.
- Add the oregano and thyme, stir and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except for the parsley and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Transfer about 1/2 the soup to a blender and puree until smooth and creamy.
- Stir in the parsley and serve right away. Any leftovers can be store in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 400 g (approx. 1/5th of recipe)
- Calories: 168
- Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 31 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 7 g