- 1 cup peeled and chopped carrot (130 g, about 2 large carrots)
- 1 cup chopped celery (130 g, about 3 medium ribs)
- 1 heaping cup diced white onion (175 g, 1/2 a large or one small onion)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2.5 cups vegetable broth (625 mL)
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed (80 g)
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes, with the juices
- 1 19 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 2 cups cooked, 360 g)
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk (or full-fat for a thicker, creamier stew)
- 1/2 cup packed, fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add the carrot, celery, onion, garlic and ginger to a large soup pot with 2 tbsp of the vegetable broth and cook for 6-7 minutes over medium heat until softened and fragrant, stirring often.
- Stir in the spices and cook for another minute.
- Add the broth, quinoa and diced tomatoes and lightly simmer for 15 minutes until the quinoa is cooked.
- Stir in the chickpeas, coconut milk and cilantro, turn off the heat and let it sit another 5-10 minutes to thicken.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste and enjoy right away.
Serve right away or store in the fridge for up to 5 days or freezer for up to 3 months. Stew will thicken after storing. Enjoy as is or adjust consistency by stirring in some broth or water. If frozen, thaw overnight in the fridge then reheat as needed on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe (approx. 350 g)
- Calories: 197
- Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 33 g
- Protein: 9 g
Keywords: chickpea quinoa stew