Vegan Cereal Bars
These festive Vegan Cereal Bars are gluten-free, oil-free, refined sugar-free and easy to make with just a few ingredients. For a fun Christmas treat, they’re studded with cranberries and pistachios and finished with a drizzle of dairy-free chocolate.
Why One Degree Cereal?
I love One Degree cereals for a lot of reasons and not just their great taste! They’ve always been a favourite at my house, especially the Brown Rice Cacao Crisps. The coolest thing about their cereals is you can see exactly where every single ingredient comes from and even learn about the farmers that produce them. That level of transparency is not something you find too often today. So awesome.
The Sprouted Oat O’s that I used in this recipe are made with non-hybridzed oats that are non-GMO verified and sprouted for improved digestibility, nutrition and flavour. They also contain chickpeas, which add protein and fiber, and are sweetened with organic cane sugar. Just the good stuff!
Cereal Bar Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make these tasty treats:
- One Degree Organic Foods Sprouted Oat O’s or Sprouted Brown Rice Crisps. The base of these bars is made with One Degree Sprouted Oat O’s which are gluten-free, sprouted and made with only the best ingredients.
- Brown rice syrup. Brown rice syrup is extra thick and sticky so it’s the perfect substitute for the marshmallows that traditional cereal bars are made with.
- Natural peanut butter. Instead of butter or coconut, these bars are made with peanut butter, which also makes them extra delicious! The peanut butter can be substituted with almond butter, if needed.
- Dried cranberries. Look for apple juice-sweetened dried cranberries. The best dried cranberries are plump, juicy, bright red and full of flavour.
- Shelled pistachios. Shelled pistachios add a hit of green to the recipe!
- Dairy-free chocolate for topping. For a treat, drizzle the bars with melted dairy-free chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate.
The cranberries, pistachios and chocolate are just for holiday fun, so feel free to leave them out for regular cereal bars. The bars are still delicious made without them!
How to Make Vegan Cereal Bars
Let’s go through how to make these bars. Don’t worry, it’s super easy!
Before you start making the peanut butter and brown rice mixture, finely chop the pistachios and cranberries and add the cereal to a mixing bowl. Add about half of the chopped pistachios and cranberries to the cereal and mix it all up. Set the rest aside for sprinkling on top of the bars to make them pretty!
Next, it’s time to make the sticky peanut butter syrup. This is going to hold all the yummy cereal, cranberry and pistachios together. To prepare it, mix it up stove top until warm, smooth and creamy. Pour it over the cereal and stir until all the cereal is mixed in.
Almost there. Press the sticky cereal mixture into a pan, top with the remaining cranberries and pistachios, drizzle with chocolate and you’re done! These bars are best stored in the fridge or freezer until right before serving.
Festive Vegan Cereal Bars Recipe
These festive cereal bars are studded with red and green and drizzled with melted chocolate for a special holiday treat!
More Holiday Treats
Here are some more Christmas treats you’ll love:Print
- Finely chop the pistachios and dried cranberries and add the Sprouted O’s to a mixing bowl. Add about half of the chopped pistachios and cranberries to the bowl with the cereal, set the rest aside.
- Prepare a 7×7 inch baking pan with a spritz of non-stick cooking spray or line it with parchment paper.
- Add the peanut butter, brown rice syrup and salt to a small saucepan. Stir over medium-low heat until it’s smooth and creamy. It should be hot but not quite boiling. Be careful not to burn it. This should only take a few minutes.
- Pour the peanut butter mixture into the bowl with the cereal and stir until all the cereal is coated.
- Dump the mixture into the prepared baking pan. Use the back of a wooden spoon to firmly press the mixture into the pan until flat and evenly distributed. It will be very sticky!
- Sprinkle the rest of the cranberries and pistachios on top, firmly pressing them in with your hands.
- Place the pan in the fridge while you prepare the melted chocolate. Melt the dairy-free chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate stove top using a double boiler or in the microwave in 15 second increments until completely melted.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate over the cereal bars then place the whole pan in the freezer to set. Freeze for an hour then cut and enjoy! Store in the fridge for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 2 months.
Keywords: easy, holiday, best, christmas, party, treat