- 1 medium white onion, diced (300 g)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large chunk, fresh ginger, minced (25 g, approx. 2 tbsp)
- 3/4 cup raw cashews (100 g)
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 4 cups peeled and chopped carrots (approx. 650 g)
- 4 cups vegetable broth plus more as needed to adjust consistency
- 1 cup light coconut milk (shake well if you’re using a fresh can)
- 1 tsp maple syrup (optional)
- pinch of sea salt
- squeeze of fresh lemon or lime juice
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, saute the onion, garlic, ginger and cashews in 1/4 cup of the vegetable broth until starting to soften, about 6-7 minutes. Add the spices and cook or another minute or two, stirring often. If the pot starts to dry out, add another splash of broth.
- Add the carrots and the rest of the vegetable broth and simmer lightly until the carrots are easily pierced with a fork, approx. 12-16 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk and if using, the maple syrup.
- Carefully transfer the soup to a blender and process until smooth and creamy. Be sure to allow steam to escape as you blend. Add more vegetable broth if needed, to adjust the thickness.
- Return to the pot and season with sea salt, pepper and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
- Serve right away or store in the fridge for up to 5 days or freezer up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 300 g
- Calories: 214
- Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 26 g
- Protein: 5 g
Keywords: soup with cashews, carrot soup, healthy, easy, vegetarian, plant-based