Soft, moist and flavourful healthy carrot cake muffins that make a wholesome breakfast on-the-go or snack any time of day.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (300 g)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (80 g)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup packed, peeled and finely grated carrot (175 g, about 2 small carrots)
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce, at room temperature (160 ml)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted (60 g)
- 2 tsp vanilla (10 ml)
- 1/2 cup dairy-free milk, room temperature (120 ml)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (5 ml)
- 1/2 cup crushed walnuts (60 g)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and prepare 12 piece muffin pan with muffin liners. If you don’t have muffin liners, lightly coat with non-stick cooking spray or lightly grease with oil or butter.
- Add the dry ingredients (flour, coconut sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, spices, salt) to a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the grated carrot to the flour mixture and stir until the carrot is mixed in and coated with flour.
- In a small bowl whisk together the wet ingredients (applesauce, coconut oil, dairy-free milk, vinegar). Be sure to use room temperature milk and applesauce so they don’t cause the coconut oil to harden. You can warm them briefly in the microwave if they’re cold.
- Make a “well” in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into the whole.
- Fold together until all of the dry ingredients are mixed in and wetted.
- Add the crushed walnuts and fold in a few times to mix throughout.
- Using a large spoon or ice cream scoop, evenly distribute muffin mix into the prepared muffin tins.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until a tooth pick can be inserted in the centre of the muffin comes out clean.
- When ready remove from oven, lift out the pan and place on cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- Enjoy warm smeared with vegan butter, peanut butter or jam for a delicious treat!
Muffins can be stored In an air tight container in the fridge for 5 -6 days, or stored in a freezer bag for up to 3 months. Okay at room temperature for 1-2 days if taking to-go.
This recipe also works with grated zucchini. To use zucchini instead of carrot, grate zucchini then wrap in a dish towel to squeeze out excess moisture before adding to the recipe or try this delicious vegan zucchini bread.
Walnuts can be substituted with pecans.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 213
- Sodium: 12 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 28 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 4 g
Keywords: vegan carrot muffins, healthy carrot muffins