For the Veggies:
- 2 yellow potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces (300 g/2 cups)
- ¼ tsp ground thyme
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ½ red bell pepper, cut into ¼-inch pieces (75 g/½ cup)
- ½ green bell pepper, cut into ¼-inch pieces (75 g/½ cup)
- 4 oz mushrooms, diced (112 g/1 ¾ cups)
- ¼ red onion, finely chopped (42 g/⅓ cup)
- 4 tsp oil, divided
For the Batter:
- Preheat Oven: Preheat the oven to 375 F and grease (or use cooking spray) a 8×8 inch square baking dish or line with parchment paper. Set the baking dish aside.
- Roast Potatoes: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and add the potatoes, thyme, oregano and 2 tsp of the oil. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast potatoes for 20-22 min, flipping halfway through, until tender and golden-brown. (Note: you could use pre-roasted/cooked potatoes or hash browns here or have a make-ahead option of roasting potatoes the day before).
- Blend Batter: To a blender, add tofu, chickpea flour, water, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, turmeric, salt and pepper. Blend on high until smooth. Set aside.
- Cook Vegetables: In a large non-stick pan, heat the remaining 2 tsp oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add onions, peppers and mushrooms. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 4-6 min, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Mix Batter: To a large bowl, add veggies, roasted potatoes and batter and stir to combine.
- Bake: Transfer the batter to the baking dish and bake on the middle rack of the oven for 45-50 minutes, until the top is golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Serve: Let sit for 15 minutes, then slice and serve as desired.
For Serving: Avocado, salsa, scallions, hot sauce, cilantro.
To Save Time: Use any pre-cooked potato or cooked fresh or frozen cubed or shredded hash browns instead of roasting the potatoes. The casserole can be prepared the day before baking and stored covered in the fridge overnight. If storing before baking, the mixture will thicken and baking time may be reduced. Start checking it for doneness after 35 minutes.
Additions: Try adding 1-2 chopped vegan sausages or breakfast links or up to 1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese of choice. Other vegetables that can be added or swapped with the mushroom and bell pepper are scallions, grated zucchini (drain first) or carrot, chopped asparagus or green beans, spinach, finely chopped kale, peas or corn.
Storing: Let cool before storing. Store covered directly in the baking dish or slice and transfer to an airtight container and store up to 4 days in the fridge. Reheat the casserole in the oven or microwave until heated through.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 224
- Sodium: 191 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 25 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 13 g
Keywords: vegan breakfast casserole, vegan breakfast bake