- 1 350 g block of extra-firm tofu, cut into cubes or triangles
- 2/3 cup BBQ sauce
- 2 cups pineapple tidbits or chunks (or approx. 1/2 cup per bowl)
- 4 cups chopped broccoli (or approx. 1 cup per bowl)
- 2 red onions, sliced into large chunks (or approx. 1/2 an onion per bowl)
- 2 cups cooked rice (or approx. 1/2 cup per bowl)
- Optional: Press the tofu before use. To press it, either use a tofu press or fold the block up in a dish cloth, put it on a plate and place a heavy object on it for 20-30 minutes.
- If you don’t have rice prepared, start cooking that now according to package instructions. You can use brown rice, basmati rice or any other rice or grain you enjoy.
- If you have the time, cube the tofu or cut it into triangles, mix with half of the BBQ sauce in a bowl or bag and marinate for 1-2 hours. This step is optional but will help the tofu absorb more flavour. If you didn’t plan ahead for this step, no problem, the tofu will still be good without the extra marinating time! Mix the tofu with the bbq sauce in a bowl and proceed.
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- For easy clean up, line a baking tray with parchment paper. Spread the tofu in a single layer on the tray and bake for 20 minutes.
- While the tofu is baking, peel and slice the red onion into chunks, chop the broccoli into small florets and prepare the pineapple for later.
- After 20 minutes, pull the tofu from the oven and push the pieces to the side of the tray. Add the rest of the bbq sauce to the tofu on the pan and mix to combine. Spread the chopped red onion on the other half of the pan and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper, if desired. Place the tray back in the oven for another 20 minutes.
- While the onion and tofu are roasting, steam the broccoli. Bring a pot of water with a steamer basket to a boil and add the broccoli. Cover and steam for 3-5 minutes or until cooked al dente. Prepare the pineapple as well. If you’re using canned pineapple, drain and chop if needed. If you’re using fresh pineapple, chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Once everything is ready, divide the ingredients between 4 serving bowls or food storage containers, top with a little extra BBQ sauce and enjoy.
Additional Ingredient Options: Avocado, corn, cilantro, steamed or sautéed greens, roasted sweet potato, black beans, tahini ranch dressing.
Storing: Assembled bowls can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days. Enjoy cold or reheat in the microwave as needed.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 355
- Sugar: 15 g
- Sodium: 175 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 50 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 21 g
Keywords: bbq tofu bowl, vegan bbq tofu