These flavourful rice and bean bowls are filling, satisfying and full of nutrition. The homemade BBQ sauce is easy to make with basic ingredients but you can use store-bought in a pinch if needed.
For the BBQ Sauce
- 3/4 cup organic ketchup
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
- 1/2 tsp each chili powder, garlic powder and onion powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- optional, for spicy BBQ sauce: 1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes or cayenne powder
For the Rice and Bean Bowls
- 1 package firm or extra-firm tofu, cut into cubes or triangles
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice (or 3/4 cup cooked per bowl)
- 1 19. oz can pinto beans
- 1/4 -1/2 cup each, per bowl, of grated carrot, corn, diced cucumber, diced red onion , chopped green onion
- 1 avocado (or 1/4 of an avocado, chopped, per bowl)
- Make the BBQ sauce. Prepare the BBQ sauce by whisking all the ingredients together in a small sauce pan and bringing to a light boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally until it’s thickened slightly.
- Marinate the tofu. Place the chopped tofu in a bowl or shallow dish and add about 6 tbsp of the BBQ sauce. Allow to marinate in the fridge for at an hour up to overnight.
- Bake the tofu. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the tofu pieces on a silicone mat or parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven, add a few more spoonfuls of BBQ sauce and stir on the pan to combine. Bake for another 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Cook the rice. If you haven’t cooked the brown rice already, do that while the tofu is baking, according to package instructions.
- Build the bowls. To make the bowls, divide the rice, pinto beans, carrot, corn, red onion and green onion amongst 4 bowls or containers then top off with the remaining BBQ sauce and the diced avocado.
If you don’t have time, it’s not totally necessary to marinate however the result will be much more flavourful this way. If you want to take it a step further, press the tofu before marinating.
The sauce and tofu make enough for 4 bowls. Adjust the rest of the ingredients for how many bowls you want to make. The rice, beans and veggies don’t have to be exact.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 512
- Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 92 g
- Fiber: 13 g
- Protein: 23 g
Keywords: rice and beans, bbq sauce, tofu