For the BBQ Chickpeas
- 2 15 oz. cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed (3 cups, 495 g)
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce (120 mL)
For the Salad
- lettuce (2 big handfuls per salad)
- corn (approx. 1/4-1/2 cup per salad)
- grated carrot (approx. 1/2 a carrot per salad)
- diced red onion (a few tbsp per salad)
- chopped green onion (a few tbsp per salad)
- chopped fresh cilantro (approx. 1/2 cup very lightly packed per salad)
For the Ranch Dressing
- To make the BBQ chickpeas, add the chickpeas and BBQ sauce to a medium-sized pan and cook over medium heat until the BBQ sauce is starting to get sticky and gooey, about 8-10 minutes. Stir every 1-2 minutes as they cook.
- To make the tahini ranch dressing, whisk all the dressing ingredients together in a small dish or shake vigorously in a sealed jar.
- To assemble the salad, prepare 4 bowls or plates, or containers if you’re prepping for later. Add a big handful of lettuce to each then top with the rest of the salad ingredients. Top each salad with equal portions of the BBQ chickpeas and tahini ranch dressing. If prepping for later, store the tahini ranch sauce separately until just before eating.
Any leftover tahini ranch dressing can be stored up to 5 days in the fridge, just give it a good shake before using. The salad can be stored up to 2 days in the fridge if assembled. Any extra BBQ chickpeas can be stored up to 5 days and added to other dishes.
The bbq chickpeas make enough for 3/4 cup portions for 4 salads. Feel free to make more or less depending on your needs. I use 2 tbsp bbq sauce for every 1/2 cup of chickpeas. You can use a little more if you want them a bit saucier. The tahini sauce makes enough for 4-6 salads.
Keywords: easy, quick, bowl, healthy, vegetarian, simple, plant-based