- 1 tbsp water or vegetable broth or 1 tsp sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced (approx. 1 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup corn, fresh or frozen
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar, brown sugar or maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, to spice preference (omit if you don’t want it spicy)
- 1 cup packed, chopped fresh basil
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat then add the onion, garlic and bell pepper to a skillet with a splash of water or broth or 1 tsp of sesame oil. Cook for 5-8 minutes until fragrant, softened and starting to brown.
- Add everything except the basil, salt and pepper and cook for a few more minutes.
- Stir in the basil. Spread the mixture around the pan so it’s sitting evenly then allow to sit for 1-2 minutes before scraping and stirring. Repeat 2-3 times. This allows the rice to brown and crisp on the bottom.
- Season with salt and pepper if desired and serve hot or store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Keywords: healthy fried rice, easy fried rice, quick, vegetarian, plant-based