Vanilla Coconut Cashew Latte Smoothie
You’ll want to sip this Vanilla Coconut Cashew Latte Smoothie on repeat all day long. If you love flavours like vanilla, coconut, cashew and coffee you’re going to love this extra thick and creamy, latte-inspired smoothie. Check out my ideas below for taking this smoothie guideline and creating your own epic latte smoothie concoctions!
Options For A Larger Serving
I’ve made this coconut cashew latte smoothie a bunch of different ways to play around with the volume and nutritional details. Obviously you can’t be adding endless amounts of coconut and cashew to your smoothie or you’ll be eating all your calories for the day at once. However, if you want to make a bigger serving size without adding a ton of calories, try adding a handful of frozen zucchini or cauliflower to it. You won’t taste them once they’re blended in but you’ll get more volume, more fibre and more nutrition and you can’t argue with that!
I’ve tried both zucchini and cauliflower in this one and both worked great. You’ll just need to add a bit more liquid such as water, more coffee, light coconut milk or almond milk along with the added veggies.
Choose Fruit or Go Fruit-Free
I’ve included two options for creating the creamy, frozen base for this smoothie. You can either use frozen banana, or to make it low in sugar, you can use frozen, mashed sweet potato. OR, if you’re feeling really wild and crazy, go for both! I’ve made it with a combo and it was really tasty. I’ve also made with this just frozen banana or just frozen sweet potato and both are delicious and creamy.
I used 1 small frozen banana or 100 grams worth, so even if you do use banana it’s still fairly low sugar but if you prefer, you can substitute the banana with 4 frozen sweet potato cubes. To make frozen sweet potato cubes, bake a sweet potato and then mash it into and freeze it in an ice cube tray until solid.
Once they’re frozen solid, pop out the cubes and store in a container. I recommend this silicone ice cube tray for making these. I also like using the silicone ice cube tray make frozen coconut milk cubes for smoothies. It’s a great way to use up an extra coconut milk when you open a can and don’t use it all.
You can also use the frozen sweet potato and coconut milk cubes in soups and curries. They’re really handy and you’ll never waste any coconut milk again! I also use them for making raw vegan desserts and chocolate, they’re the perfect size to make bite-sized treats. Grab them here on Amazon.
More Veggie Smoothies
If you want to try some more low sugar, veggie-packed smoothies, check out these ones too:
- Coconut Strawberry Beet Smoothie Bowl
- Low-Sugar Chocolate Avocado Smoothie Bowl
- Salted Tahini Maca Smoothie
- Low-Sugar Blueberry Coconut Smoothie Bowl
- Hemp Matcha Chip Smoothie Bowl
Coffee, Coconut Milk or Both!
You can go a bunch of different ways with the liquid for this smoothie. My favourite way is with 3/4 cup of brewed coffee and 1/4 cup of light coconut milk. If you don’t have light coconut milk on hand, use either 1 cup of coffee or a mixture of coffee and almond milk. I’ve tried them all and you really can’t go wrong.
I like how it comes out with a total of 1 cup of liquid. If you stick to 1 cup it will be very thick and creamy and I like to eat it with a spoon. If you want it a bit thinner, just add a touch more liquid until it reaches your preferred consistency.
I’ve made it with as little as 1/2 a cup of liquid, in which case it will be more like ice cream or if you use 3/4 it will be the perfect consistency for a smoothie bowl.
Recipe Guidelines for Inspiration
Most days, I don’t cook with recipes or even think about a recipe. You really can’t go wrong when combining different plant foods to make beautiful and healthy, plant-based meals. I want you to find the same freedom and creativity in your kitchen. Lately, the recipes at Running on Real Food have been more of guidelines to inspire you to create your own dishes. I’ve included the amounts I use to make this smoothie but it’s very flexible, so don’t worry too much if you use or less of any ingredient. It’s going to taste great either way!
Feel free to play around adjust as needed and make it your own.
Vanilla Coconut Cashew Latte Smoothie Ideas
Since you can go crazy and have some fun with this smoothie, here are a few ideas to switch up the flavours:
- blend in raw cacao powder and cacao nibs for a Coconut Cashew Latte Chip Smoothie
- ditch the coffee and go with all light coconut milk for an Double Coconut Cashew Smoothie
- to make a Bulletproof Coffee Smoothie, add 1 tbsp of coconut oil or MCT oil
- add a couple teaspoons of cinnamon
- blend in a few medjool dates to make it a Caramel Latte Smoothie
- blend in 1 tbsp of maca and/or lucuma for a superfood boost
- try raw almonds instead of cashews
- add a spoonful of coconut, cashew or almond butter for more flavour and extra creaminess
- try it with a spoonful of peanut butter
- add a pinch of cayenne and turmeric for a little spice
- make it with golden milk instead of coffee for a Golden Milk Latte Smoothie
- try it with Earl Grey tea instead of coffee to make it a London Fog Smoothie
See how fun and creative you can get! Follow my recipe below and you’ll love it but if you change it up a bit, let me know what you create!Print
- 1 cup brewed coffee (or 3/4 cup brewed coffee and 1/4 cup light coconut milk)
- 1 serving (30 g) vegan vanilla protein powder
- 1/4 cup (30 g) raw cashews
- 2 tbsp (15 g) unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 small frozen banana or 3-4 frozen sweet potato cubes (100 g of either or a combo of both)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- generous pinch of sea salt
- 3 ice cubes
- optional: pulse in a few of whole coffee beans for a little added crunch!
- optional superfood boosters: 2 tsp of maca or lucuma powder
- Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender.
- Turn on low and slowly increase speed, blend until thick and creamy. For best results, do not over blend. It should be just combined and creamy but if you blend too long, the heat from the blender will affect the creamy, frozen consistency.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy.
Keywords: coffee smoothie, coffee protein shake