For the Quinoa Bowl
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (about 1/2 – 3/4 cup cooked per bowl)
- 1 350 g package firm or extra-firm tofu
- 2 cups sliced white or cremini mushrooms (200 g)
- 2 heaping cups fresh snap peas (225 g)
- 1 cup peeled and grated carrot
- 2 cups broccoli florets, lightly steamed
- 1 avocado (1/4 per bowl)
- 1 bunch green onions, finely chopped
- sesame seeds for topping
For the Teriyaki Sauce
- 1/2 cup soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger root, minced
- 1 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Cut the tofu into cubes, slabs or triangles and place in a mixing bowl. Add 2 tbsp of soy sauce or gluten-free tamari and a pinch of black pepper. Place the tofu on a silicone mat or parchment paper lined baking tray and bake for 25-25 minutes until browned and crispy.
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions or just bring 2 cups of water to a boil, add 1 cup of uncooked quinoa, cover, reduce to a light simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Remove lid and fluff with a fork.
- To make the teriyaki sauce, add all of the ingredients to a small saucepan and bring to a very light boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until it thickens. This can take anywhere form 5-10 minutes. It should be thick and syrupy when it’s done.
- Heat 1/2 tsp of olive oil in a non-stick pan then add the sliced mushrooms and peas. Cook over high-heat, stirring often, until the mushrooms are browning and the peas are slightly tender but still crunchy, about 6-7 minutes.
- Either add the broccoli to the stir fry with the peas and mushrooms or steam lightly stovetop for 5 minutes until bright green and tender but not soggy.
- To assemble the bowls, divide the quinoa, stir-fried peas and mushrooms, avocado, broccoli, carrot and tofu amongst 4 bowls or containers. Drizzle each bowl with an equal amount of the teriyaki sauce. Top with sesame seeds and green onion and serve right away.
Tofu: Can be subbed with chickpeas or tempeh (try this tempeh recipe).
Make in Advance: If making for meal prep, leave the avocado off and store the bowls and sauce separately in containers in the fridge for up to 3 days, adding the sauce and avocado just before serving. Bowls can be reheated in the microwave or enjoyed cold.
Veggies: Vegetables are flexible. Try bell peppers, zucchini, snow peas or baby bok choy in addition to or instead of mushrooms and snap peas.
Quinoa: Can be subbed with brown rice or farro.
Teriyaki Sauce: Blend all ingredients before heating if you want a smooth sauce. Alternatively, use ground ginger and garlic powder instead of fresh to avoid pieces of garlic and ginger in the finished sauce.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 433
- Fat: 16 g
- Carbohydrates: 57 g
- Fiber: 12 g
- Protein: 23 g
Keywords: teriyaki quinoa bowl, tofu quinoa bowl