For the Tempeh Bacon
- 100 grams thinly sliced tempeh, about 6 slices
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup or a sprinkle of coconut sugar (or liquid stevia for sugar-free)
- sprinkle of garlic powder
- salt and pepper
For the Bowls
- To make the tempeh bacon, place the sliced tempeh in a shallow dish and add the rest of the bacon ingredients. Tilt the dish to coat each piece of tempeh. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes, the flip the sliced tempeh and let it sit another 5-10 minutes. In a pinch you can skip marinating it or if you have more time, let it sit up to an hour.
- Once it’s marinated for about 20 minutes, place the strips on a baking tray and bake in the oven at 450 F until crisped. You can also broil on a rack for 5-10 minutes, flipping every couple minutes until they’re crisped.
- While the tempeh bakes, make the kale and mushrooms. Add the mushrooms and avocado oil to a skillet and cook over medium-high heat, stirring every couple minutes until the mushrooms are starting to brown. Add the kale and green onions and cook for a few more minutes until the kale is soft and the green onions are wilted and browning.
- To assemble the bowls, add the cooked mushrooms, kale and green onions to a bowl along with as much avocado as desired, half a baked sweet potato (or more, if desired) and the tempeh bacon strips. Add a scoop of sauerkraut or kimchi, if you want. Season the bowl with a pinch of salt and pepper and enjoy right away or pack up as part of a meal prep.
I make the sweet potato for this in advance to speed things up. To make it, cut a medium-sized sweet potato in half and roast at 425 F, cut-side down on a baking tray until easily pierced with a fork. I use parchment paper or a silicone baking mat for easy clean up. This should take about 30 minutes but may be longer depending on the size of the sweet potato.
Keywords: savory vegan breakfast, easy, tempeh bacon, low-GI, low-sugar, healthy
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 397
- Sugar: 0 g
- Fat: 15 g
- Carbohydrates: 39 g
- Fiber: 15 g
- Protein: 22 g
- Cholesterol: 0 g