This one pot sweet potato lentil curry is packed with flavour and nutrition and ready to enjoy in less than 40 minutes.
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, divided (30 g)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into ½-inch cubes (approx. 5 cups, 665 g)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced (150 g/1 ¼ cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1-inch piece ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp Indian mild curry paste (20 g)
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ garam masala
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed (210 g, or green or brown lentils)
- 1 cup canned or fresh diced tomatoes (230 g, approx. 3–4 Roma tomatoes)
- 1 (398 mL) can coconut milk
- 4 cups vegetable stock or water (1000 mL)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro (20 g)
- ½ lime, juiced
- salt and pepper
- Brown Sweet Potato: In a large pot, over medium heat, heat 1 tbsp coconut oil. When the pot is hot, add the sweet potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 6-8 min, stirring occasionally, until browned. Transfer to a bowl and set aside. The sweet potatoes will finish cooking in another step.
- Cook Onion: To the same pot, add the remaining coconut oil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the onions. Cook for 4-6 min, stirring often, until tender.
- Add Garlic & Ginger: Add the garlic and ginger. Cook for another 2-3 min, stirring occasionally. If you’re using fresh diced tomato, add it now, if you’re using canned diced tomatoes reserve for now.
- Add Spices: Add the curry paste, turmeric, cumin, coriander and garam masala. Cook for another 1 min, stirring constantly, until fragrant, to toast the spices.
- Add Liquid, Lentils & Sweet Potato: Add the coconut milk, broth or water, lentils and reserved sweet potatoes. If you’re using canned diced tomato, add those now as well. Season with a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over high. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and maintain a gentle simmer. Cook for 20-25 min, stirring occasionally, until the lentils and sweet potato are tender. If using green or brown lentils, increase cooking time to 25-30 minutes or until tender.
- Add Seasonings: Stir in lime juice and chopped cilantro, reserving from cilantro for topping, then season to taste with salt, if needed.
- Serve: Serve with cooked rice, naan, lime wedges and garnished toasted coconut flakes and more cilantro, if desired.
You can use light or full-fat coconut milk to preference.
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days. Note that it will thicken considerable after storing. You can thin it out by stirring in a bit of broth or water when you reheat it. To freeze, cool completely and store in freezer bags or a sealed container for 2-3 months. Thaw in the fridge before reheating.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 356
- Sugar: 9 g
- Sodium: 442 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Carbohydrates: 52 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Protein: 11 g
Keywords: sweet potato lentil curry, sweet potato and red lentil curry