- 2 cups cubed sweet potato (200 g)
- 1/2 cup cubed tempeh (88 g)
- 1 cup sliced white or cremini mushroom (70 g)
- 1/3 cup minced red onion (70 g)
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 a red pepper, diced (60 g)
- 1/2 tsp each cumin and garlic powder
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups very lightly packed (or 1 cup tightly packed) finely chopped kale (50 g)
- avocado, salsa and green onion, for topping, optional
- Bring a pot of water to a boil then add the cubed sweet potato and boil for 8 minutes. Drain.
- While the sweet potato is cooking, add all of the other ingredients except for the kale to a frying pan and start cooking over medium-high heat. Cook and stir for about 6-7 minutes until everything is starting to soften and brown.
- Add the drained sweet potato and kale to the pan cook for another 5 minutes. Only stir it a couple times so it can sit in the pan and brown.
- Once cooked, add to a plate or bowl, top with avocado, salsa and green onion and season with additional salt and pepper, if desired. It’s really good with some melted vegan cheese too.
To add a more flavour to the tempeh, marinade in a splash of soy sauce or gluten-free tamari, balsamic vinegar, garlic powder, sea salt and pepper for 30 minutes up to overnight. Even just 10 minutes with some soy sauce does the trick in a pinch.
Keywords: skillet, easy, tempeh, kale, healthy