This vegan sweet and sour tofu features crispy tofu with stir fried bell peppers and onions in a sticky, sweet and sour sauce.
For the Tofu:
- 1 block extra-firm tofu, pressed and cubed
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tbsp oil
For the Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 2 tbsp ketchup (30g)
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar (30g)
- ¼ cup soy or tamari (75g/ 60ml)
- ¼ cup brown sugar (or coconut sugar or maple syrup) (35g)
- ¼– ½ tsp chili flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (12g)
- 2 tsp cornstarch mixed with ½ cup cold water
For the Veggie Stir Fry:
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped (155g/ 1.5 cups)
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped (150g)
- 1 small red onion, chopped (130g/ 1 cup)
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced (reserve some for topping)
- 2 tbsp toasted white or black sesame seeds, for topping
- cooked rice of choice, for serving
- Press Tofu: Cut tofu in half lengthwise, so you have two thinner rectangles, then wrap in clean kitchen towels. Place on a dinner plate or cutting board. Weigh tofu down with a heavy object like a cast iron skillet, or large pot for at least 20 minutes. Alternatively, use a tofu press.
- Make Sauce: In a medium bowl, whisk together ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, chili flakes, garlic and cornstarch-water mixture, until combined.
- Coat Tofu: When you’re ready, cube the tofu into 1/2-inch pieces and add to a large bowl with the cornstarch, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Toss to coat until all pieces are covered in cornstarch.
- Cook Tofu: In a large non-stick skillet, heat 1 ½ tbsp oil over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the tofu (depending on the size of your pan, you may have to do this in batches). Cook for 6-8 mins, flipping pieces occasionally, until golden-brown and crisp on all sides. Transfer tofu to a plate and set aside.
- Cook Veggies: To the same pan, add 2 tsp oil. Add peppers and onions. Cook for 5-7 min, stirring occasionally, until tender-crisp.
- Finish Stir Fry: Give the sauce another stir then pour over the veggies and cook for 1-2 minutes until it starts to thicken. Add tofu and bring to a simmer and cook for 1-2 min, stirring continuously, until sauce is thickened and the tofu is well coated. Remove from heat.
- Serve: Serve sweet and sour tofu over rice. Sprinkle with green onions and toasted sesame seeds.
Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat in a pan or in the microwave until heated through.
Nutrition facts do not include rice for serving.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 260
- Sugar: 18 g
- Sodium: 655 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 12 g
Keywords: sweet and sour tofu