Roasted Butternut Squash Spinach Salad
This roasted butternut squash spinach salad features flavours like fresh lemon and basil and packs in all the nutrition with butternut squash, baby spinach, quinoa and chickpeas. Every ingredient actually contributes it’s own bit of nutrition, from plant-based protein to plenty of vitamins and antioxidants, this salad has it all!
To really make this salad pop, it’s topped off with quick and easy vegan parmesan made with nutritional yeast and almonds. This recipe will make extra parmesan which you can store in the fridge to use in soups, salads, pasta or any where else you would use parmesan cheese.Print
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 3 large handfuls Dole Baby Spinach
- 1 19 oz can chickpeas
- salt and pepper to taste
- To make the vegan parmesan:
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and roast the butternut squash in 1/4 tsp olive oil and a pinch of sea salt until tender.
- Add the olive oil, lemon juice, dijon and garlic to a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the cooked quinoa, basil, onion, Dole Baby Spinach, chickpeas and roasted squash to the bowl and stir to mix.
- To make the vegan parmesan, place the almonds, nutritional yeast, salt, garlic powder and olive oil in a food processor and mix until the almonds are broken down.
- To serve, you can either mix about 1/2 cup of vegan parmesan into the whole salad, or sprinkle few tablespoons on each serving.
- Store any extra vegan parmesan in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, use on salads, soups, pasta or anywhere else you’d use parmesan cheese.