Cheesy Vegan Spaghetti Squash Marinara
This vegan spaghetti squash marinara is easy to make with just a few simple ingredients. Enjoy for a healthy main that’s oil-free and lower in carbs than traditional pasta.
Amazing Spaghetti Squash
Spaghetti squash: low in fat and carbs, low calorie, packed with vitamins and minerals, great for food prep, delicious, versatile…what’s not to love? And now about it how it morphs from a solid squash into amazing spaghetti squash noodles? Crazy, right? I really love spaghetti squash in fact, I love it so much I make one every single week as part of my weekly food prep.
My favourite way to cook spaghetti squash is to roast it face up at a high temperature. Head over to my post on How to Cook Spaghetti Squash for a step by step on cooking spaghetti squash for best results.
I haven’t posted any spaghetti squash recipes because I usually just keep it in the fridge and add to meals during the week but I love this quick and easy spaghetti squash marinara recipe and make it often!
Easy Cheesy Vegan Marinara Sauce
You can’t go wrong with this super easy and cheesy vegan marinara sauce. To keep things simple for fast weeknight meals, I use a jar of store-bought marinara sauce to make it and simply adding fresh onions, garlic and nutritional yeast. I like mine spicy so I always add a generous teaspoon of red pepper flakes too.
If you’re in a pinch, you can skip the onions and garlic, add a jar of marinara sauce to your spaghetti squash and top with nutritional yeast but I like the extra flavour and texture from sauteéd onions and garlic.
I love this sauce with zucchini noodles too or even regular pasta on the rare occasion that I eat it. A full half cup of nutritional yeast take the flavour next level and the sauteéd onions and garlic add that classic marinara flavour.
Spaghetti Squash Marinara
There really isn’t much to this recipe: one delicious, roasted spaghetti squash and a pan of easy cheesy vegan marinara sauce! That’s it.
If you cook the spaghetti squash ahead of time it can be ready in just a few minutes. It’s low calorie, so you can enjoy a big satisfying serving that will fill you up. If you want to add more plant-based protein to this dish, try topping it with crumbled tempeh, stirring in some tofu, lentils or chickpeas or adding some seitan.
More Recipes Like This
Here are some more recipes like this one:
- Easy Vegan Spaghetti Squash Noodles
- Low-Fat Pesto Spaghetti Squash
- Low-Carb Vegan Dinner Bowl
- Healthy Vegan Cauliflower Fried Rice
- 1 cooked spaghetti squash
- 1 jar marinara sauce of choice
- 2 small or 1 large white onion
- 3–5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Saute the onions and garlic in a pan with a splash of water or a little olive oil. Once they’re starting to soften and brown a bit, add the jar of marinara sauce and stir in the nutritional yeast. Stir until heated through then remove from heat.
- To serve, either divide the spaghetti squash into bowls and top with the sauce, or mix it all up in a large bowl.
- Serve with a pinch of sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste.
My favourite way to cook spaghetti squash is to roast it face up at 450 degrees. If you’re cooking with spaghetti squash for the first time, head over and read this post for a full step-by-step: How to Cook Sphagetti Squash.
Keywords: healthy, low-carb, dinner, easy