Smashed White Bean Avocado Toast
This smashed white bean avocado toast is nutritious, satisfying and and awesome for a quick and healthy snack or meal. Keep it simple with just the avocado smash or top it with your favourite avocado toast toppings like sliced tomato, cucumber, sprouts, hemp seeds, vegan parmesan or sriracha.
A Balanced Meal
I love adding white beans to avocado toast to create a more balanced meal. The avocado provides healthy monounsaturated fats, the beans boost the protein and fibre and the sprouted whole grain bread adds more fibre and the complex carbohydrates you need to stay energized throughout the day. You can do any kind of bread, of course. I love sourdough, rye bread, spelt flour bread, Ryvita crackers, bread from local bakeries and Silver Hills breads.
Avocado Toast Toppings
White bean and avocado toast is just delicious on it’s own but I usually like to add a few more toppings to really make a meal out of it. Here are my favourite avocado toast toppings:
- sliced or roasted tomatoes
- sliced cucumber or radish
- grated beet or carrot
- roasted red peppers
- fresh cilantro, basil, dill or chives
- sprouts, pea shoots or broccoli sprouts
- vegan parmesan
- red pepper flakes
- hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds or sesame seeds
- sriracha, chipotle sauce, tahini sauce, chimmichurri sauce, pesto, balsamic, salsa or dijon mustard
- crushed walnuts, pistachios or almonds
- coconut bacon
You can make so many yummy combos out of those toppings. Try pistachio and coconut bacon, dill and hemp seeds, vegan parmesan and red pepper flakes, dijon and cucumber or sriracha and cilantro.
White Bean Avocado Toast
To make this simple variation of avocado toast, just smash the white beans in a small dish then mix in ripe avocado, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a pinch of sea salt. Either enjoy it just like that or top it with one of the topping ideas provided. Love avo toast? Try hummus avocado toast for another fun combo.
On my toast you’ll see pea shoots, vegan parmesan, pickled red onion, sea salt, pepper and a splash of creamy cashew sauce (follow my tahini sauce recipe but replace the tahini with 1/2 cup raw cashews).
This recipe is great for breakfast, a light lunch or a healthy snack anytime of day. It contains healthy fats, protein and carbohydrates as well as a range of essential minerals and vitamins.Print
- 1–2 slices bread of choice, toasted (use gluten-free if needed)
- 1/2 ripe avocado (60 g)
- 1/3 cup white beans (60 g, canellini beans)
- pinch of sea salt
- light squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Add the beans to a small dish and mash with the back of a fork. I like them completely smooth but you can leave some beans whole if you like more texture. Add the avocado, lemon and sea salt and mix.
- Spread on toast, add any desired toppings and enjoy.
This makes quite a large amount of smashed avocado so you can either load up one slice of bread or spread it onto 2 slices to serve 1 or 2. I eat this as a meal. If you’re looking for a lighter snack-sized avocado toast, I’d use 1/4 of an avocado and a few tablespoons of white beans. It doesn’t have to be exact. If you’d prefer more protein and less fat, you can use more beans than avocado and vice versa.
Keywords: avocado toast, white beans