For the Sesame Baked Tofu
- 1 package extra-firm tofu
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp soy sauce (use gluten-free tamari if needed)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder
For the Lettuce Wraps
- 12 large romaine or butter lettuce leaves for wrapping
- 1 cup sliced and sautéed mushrooms
- 1 thinly sliced red pepper
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 a diced cucumber
- 4 chopped green onions
- 1 avocado, diced
- sriracha (or add almond pad thai sauce or satay sauce)
- optional garnishes: fresh lime juice, cilantro, crushed peanuts or cashews
- To make the tofu, first wrap the block of tofu in a dish towel on a plate or baking tray and place a few heavy objects on top of it. A stack of cookbooks or cast-iron pan does the trick. Let it sit for 30-60 minutes.
- Whisk together the marinade ingredients in a shallow dish, loaf pan or roasting pan. Once the tofu is done pressing, cut it into strips and place the strips in the marinade. Let sit for 30-60 minutes, up to overnight. Every 10 minutes or soon, carefully stir and spoon the marinade over the tofu so all the pieces are getting coated. When you’re getting close to baking time, pre-heat the oven to 350 F and either line a baking try with parchment paper or spray it with some non-stick coconut oil cooking spray.
- When the tofu is done marinating, mix in the cornstarch and sesame seeds then place the tofu strips on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- To make the sautéed mushrooms, slice the mushrooms and add to a pan with either a quick spray of non-stick coconut oil cooking spray or a splash of water or broth. Saute until tender and browned.
- Once the tofu is done, assemble the lettuce wraps with the rest of the ingredients then add a few strips of tofu to each, drizzle with sriracha or your favourite sauce plus any other garnishes and enjoy.
Find full details on how to press tofu here.
Nutrition facts include 1/4 of all toppings per serving. They do not include the optional garnishes.
Keywords: tofu lettuce wraps, sesame tofu