This wonderful lentil salad is full of flavor but so simple to make. Roast the veggies, cook the lentils, mix and enjoy. This salad works well for food prep as the flavors are only better the next day. Enjoy anytime for a hearty, rustic, nourishing meal.
- 1 white onion, sliced (approx. 2 cups chopped, 300 g)
- 4 carrots, chopped (approx. 3.5 cups chopped, 450 g)
- 2 zucchini, chopped in large chunks (approx. 4 cups chopped, 500 g)
- 1 medium sweet potato, cubed (approx. 3 heaping cups, 425 g)
- 1 tbsp each fresh rosemary and thyme or 1 tsp each dried rosemary and thyme
- 1 cup uncooked green or brown lentils
- 2 1/4 cups vegetable broth or water
- 4 tbsp hemp seeds (optional)
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup or raw honey
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Chop all the veggies and spread on baking trays in a single layer. You may need 2 or 3 trays depending on the size. Drizzle them with the 1 tsp of olive oil (if it’s easier, add all the chopped veggies to a large bowl and toss with the oil and spices, then add to trays) and sprinkle over the rosemary and thyme. Add a pinch of salt and pepper as well. Use your hands to mix them all up until they’re well-coated.
- Roast the veggies in the oven for 35-40 minutes until tender and browned.
- While the veggies are roasting, add the dry lentils and vegetable broth to a pot. Bring to a boil on the stovetop then cover and reduce heat to a light simmer. Cook for 20-25 minutes until the lentils are tender. Check them around 15-20 minutes to see if you may need to add a little extra water.
- Once the veggies and lentils are cooked, either add everything to a large bowl and toss with the balsamic vinegar, maple syrup and hemp seeds, or divide the lentils, roasted vegetables and hemp seeds between 4 bowls or containers then mix the balsamic vinegar and maple syrup together in a small dish and drizzle over each serving (this is how I like to serve it). Season with salt and pepper and serve right away or store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Keywords: vegetarian, warm, healthy, easy, meal prep