- 3 large or 5-6 small red bell peppers (approx. 650 g once de-seeded)
- 1 28 oz can whole or diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast (25 g)
- 1/2–1 cup vegetable broth (250 mL)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (omit if sensitive to spice or add up to 1 tsp for more heat)
- To roast the red peppers, turn the oven on to broil.
- Cut your peppers in half and remove the seeds then smash each half down on a baking tray so they lay flat, with the skins facing up.
- Broil the peppers until they’re starting to blacken, approximately 15-20 minutes. Once they’re done remove from the oven and let cool until you can handle them. Once cooled enough to handle, peel off the heavily blackened bits of skin and discard. You don’t need to get every little bit of skin off but the black parts should come off fairly easily.
- Add the peppers to a blender with the rest of the ingredients, starting with 1/2 cup vegetable broth and adding more if needed to adjust the thickness of the soup to your preference.
- Blend all of the ingredients until smooth and creamy.
- If you’re serving right away, pour the contents into a pot on the stovetop and bring to a light simmer to heat through or heat by the bowl in the microwave as needed. If you’re making in advance, transfer to a container and store in the fridge.
Find detailed instructions on how to make roasted red peppers here.
Store in a sealed container the fridge for up to 5 days or freezer for up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe (approx. 400 g)
- Calories: 137
- Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 24 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 8 g
Keywords: roasted red pepper tomato soup