These oven roasted golden beets are made with fresh herbs and lemon for a flavourful and delicious side dish or addition to any salad.
- 3 large (over 3” diameter.) golden beets (or 4 medium or 5 small beets)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 C).
- Remove the top and the roots of the beets and peel each one with a vegetable peeler.
- Cut the beets into 1 1/2 inch chunks.
- Place the cut beets on a sheet pan and toss with the olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, turning once or twice with a spatula, until the beets are tender and golden brown around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and immediately toss with the lemon zest.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve warm as a side dish or added to a salad.
Beets: This recipe can be made with yellow beets, red beets or golden beets.
Fresh Herbs: Try thyme, rosemary, sage, oregano or any combination of those. You can also add 1 tsp garlic powder or 1 tbsp minced fresh garlic.
Storing: Roasted beets will store well in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Freezing: You can freeze cooked beets by spreading them in a single layer on a baking sheet then freezing them overnight. Once each piece is individually frozen, add them to a freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 75
- Sodium: 390 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 2 g
Keywords: roasted golden beets, oven roasted golden beets