Fall has arrived and winter is quickly approaching, that means it’s time for butternut squash on repeat. This roasted butternut squash salad with broccoli and garlic miso dressing is the perfect way to get your oh-so-comforting butternut squash fix. It’s healthy, low in fat, rich in flavour and packed with nutrition. The flavours improve over time making this healthy salad a great option for weekly food prep.
Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
Roasted butternut squash is delicious pretty much any which way. I love it plain, I love it with different spices and herbs and I love it in this roasted butter squash salad. Paired with broccoli, green onion and a sweet and tangy garlic miso dressing, it shines in this healthy and comforting dish.
What is Miso Paste?
Miso paste is an absolute staple in my kitchen. I use it so many dressings, gravies, sauces and soups. I love it’s rich, salty flavour. Miso is fermented soybean paste. Yum, right? There are a few different varieties but I’ve only used white and yellow miso paste before. I typically use Amano Shiro White Miso. It’s a naturally aged blend of organic white rice, organic whole soybeans, sea salt and water. It’s light yellow in colour and has a mellow yet subtly sweet flavour.
Blended up with a ton of garlic, white wine vinegar and some sweetener it’s the perfect addition to the tangy dressing for this butternut squash salad.
Healthy Comfort Food
This salad is pure comfort food to me. There’s something about the soft, creamy texture of the squash paired with perfectly-cooked broccoli and the tangy garlic miso dressing that just hits the spot.
I’ve made this a few weeks in a row for my weekly food prep and because the flavours improve with time, it’s even better next day. I eat it cold straight from the fridge but you could also lightly heat it in the oven if you prefer. This recipe is oil-free as I don’t typically use any oil to roast vegetables…if that’s even called roasting them? Unless I’m making a specific recipe, I’ll either bake veggies with herbs and spices or just cook them plain. For this “roasted” butternut squash salad, all I’ve added is salt and pepper. It’s perfect.
I’ve been all about keep recipes as simple as possible lately, so this really isn’t anything fancy but whole food ingredients don’t need to be, do they? They shine all on their own.Print
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 8 green onions, chopped
- 2 large crowns broccoli, cut into pieces
- Dressing Ingredients:
- 6 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp white miso paste
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 packet stevia or 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp water
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Peel and cube the butternut squash, add to a roasting pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast until tender. Approximately 25-30 minutes.
- Lightly steam the broccoli until it’s bright green and cooked al dente.
- Add the cooked butternut squash, steamed broccoli and chopped green onions to a large bowl.
- Add the dressing ingredients to a blender and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Add the dressing to the bowl and mix well to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
This recipe was adapted from this recipe from Rawsome Vegan Life. Thank you, Emily.