- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger or 1 tsp dried ground ginger
- 3 tbsp red curry paste
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 5 cups peeled and cubed kabocha squash, about 1 medium-sized squash or 700 g
- 4 cups peeled and chopped carrots, about 8 carrots or 600 g
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2-1 cup light coconut milk or unsweetened almond milk
- Add the garlic, onion and ginger to a soup pot with a splash of the vegetable stock and let cook over medium heat until starting to soften.
- Stir in the red curry paste.
- Add the stock, squash and carrot.
- Simmer lightly until the squash and carrot are fork-tender, approximately 20-25 minutes.
- Remove about 2/3 of the soup and add to a blender or use an immersion blender in the pot to puree until smooth. I liked leaving some squash and carrot pieces in mine, so you can either puree it completely or leave some chunkiness to it.
- Stir in the fresh lime juice and coconut or almond milk. Start with 1/2 cup of milk, add a little more if needed to reach desired thickness.