These delicious, vegan and no-bake hemp brownies can be enjoyed as an energy bar or decadent dessert!
For the Brownies
- 2 cups (440 g) packed, soft pitted dates
- 1 cup (140 g) hemp seeds
- 1 cup (110 g) raw walnuts
- 1/3 cup (35 g) cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp water or maple syrup
For the Chocolate Ganache
- Blend Walnuts: Add the walnuts to a food processor and blend into a grainy consistency. It’s ok if there are some larger pieces left behind but they should be mostly broken down.
- Add Remaining Ingredients: Add the rest of the brownie ingredients and blend again, starting with 2 tbsp of water, until you have a thick sticky dough. You should be able to press it together into a ball between your fingers. If needed, add the additional tablespoon of water and blend again.
- Press into Pan: Line a 7 or 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper so it sticks out over the edges of the pan. This will make it easy to lift the finished brownies from the pan. Firmly press the dough into the pan, taking time to work it into all the corners and even the surface.
- Make Chocolate Ganache: Melt the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave or by using a double boiler. If using the microwave, stir every 15-20-seconds until they’re mostly melted and you can mix to melt in any remaining chocolate chips. Add the coconut milk or cream and stir until fully combined and smooth.
- Top Brownies with Ganache: Spread the ganache over the brownies, smoothing with a spatula or the back of a wooden spoon.
- Freeze: Place the pan in the freezer for 1-2 hours or until the ganache is firm.
- Slice: Lift the brownies out of the pan using the edges of the parchment paper. Slice into 16 squares and enjoy. Store remaining brownies are best stored in the freezer.
Chocolate ganache is optional but makes them more of a decadent dessert!
Water adds moisture to help make the brownie “dough” but maple syrup can be used as an alternative if you’d like the brownies to be a bit sweeter.
Without the chocolate ganache, the brownies are 183 calories each with 10 g fat, 23 g carb and 5 g protein.
- Serving Size: 1 brownie
- Calories: 241
- Sugar: 24 g
- Sodium: 74 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 6 g
Keywords: hemp seed brownies