- 2 medium to large beets, peeled and grated (about 3 cups grated or 300 g)
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and grated (about 2.5 cups or 250 g)
- 1/2 a red onion, diced (about 1 cup diced or 130 g)
- 1 15 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (285 g or 1.5 cups)
- 3 ribs celery (about 1 cup chopped or 130 g)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegan mayonnaise
- 1.5 tbsp (22 mL) maple syrup
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) apple cider or red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Peel and grate the beets and carrots, diced the red onion and celery and add them all to a large salad or mixing bowl.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and add them to the veggies.
- Add all of the dressing ingredients and mix well to thoroughly combine.
- Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve right away or store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
I would recommend using vegan mayo in this recipe because it adds the perfect tangy flavor. However, you can try using tahini in its place if you’re really not into it. You can also use regular mayo if you’re not vegan.
The salad should be stored in the fridge but if you’re taking it to a BBQ or picnic it will be fine for a couple of hours if kept relatively cool. As long as it’s not sitting out in the sun it will be ok.
A medium grate is best for the beets and carrots. You don’t want them too large or they’ll be tough, and you don’t want them too fine or the salad will be soggy.
Keywords: raw beet salad, beet chickpea salad