The best cold ramen noodle salad with crunchy noodles, red and green cabbage and plenty of bright colours, flavours and texture! Serve as a tasty side dish or pair with your choice of protein for a main dish.
For the Ramen Noodle Salad
- 4 cups green cabbage, finely shredded (about ½ a small head, 250 g)
- 4 cups purple cabbage, finely shredded (about ½ a small head, 250 g)
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced (130 g)
- 1 large carrot, grated (95 g/1.5 cup)
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, chopped (115 g)
- 2 cups cooked edamame (285 g)
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1–2 pkgs. dry ramen noodles, discard flavor packets* (115 g)
- ½ cup roasted cashews or peanuts (75 g)
For the Sesame Dressing
- ¼ cup sesame oil (60 mL)
- 2 tbsp olive oil (30 mL)
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar (60 mL)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (30 mL)
- 1 tbsp tahini (15 g)
- 1 ½ tsp white or yellow miso paste
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tsp grated ginger or ½ tsp ginger powder
- salt and pepper
- Make Dressing: In a large bowl, add sesame oil, olive oil, vinegar, tahini, maple syrup, garlic and ginger. Season with salt and pepper, then whisk well to combine into a smooth consistency. If you’re making the dressing ahead of time, whisk it up in a small bowl or storage container.
- Prepare Salad: To the bowl with the dressing, add cabbage, peppers, carrots, snap peas, edamame, cashews and half the green onions. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add Noodles & Mix: Using your hands, break apart the ramen noodles into the bowl. Add the dressing if you didn’t mix it up in the salad bowl. Toss well to combine. Note that if you’re making the salad in advance to reserve the noodles until just before serving.
- Serve: Serve topped with the remaining green onions and toasted white or black sesame seeds, if you like.
*You can use 1 or 2 packs of instant ramen noodles. If you want it to be more like coleslaw with a bit of crunch, use one pack, if you want more noodles, crunch and bulk, use two! Either way, you can start with one and always add the second.
Dressing can be made 1-2 days ahead of time. If you are making this salad ahead of time, add and toss the noodles right before serving so they stay crunchy.
For shredding the cabbage, a mandoline is great for this or the shredding attachment on a food processor. I like a mandoline for this salad. If you’re tight on time, you can buy equal volume of pre-shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix at your grocery store.
For a super quick and easy ramen cabbage salad, use 1 bag of prepared coleslaw mix, 1-2 packages of ramen noodles and the dressing recipe.
Substitute sunflower seeds for the nuts if you need a nut-free recipe. If you only have one variety of cabbage, that’s ok.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 456
- Sugar: 13 g
- Fat: 28 g
- Carbohydrates: 42 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 14 g
Keywords: crunchy ramen salad, ramen noodle salad