- 1 white onion, diced (approx. 1.5 cups, 200 g)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 small beets, peeled and grated (approx. 3 cups, 360 g)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (150 g)
- 2 tbsp ground flax (12 g)
- 1 cup oats (100 g)
- 1/4 cup fine breadcrumbs (25 g, use gluten-free if needed)
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp sea salt
- If you don’t have cooked quinoa on hand, start preparing that now. Cook according to package instructions or bring 1 cup of water to a boil, add 1/2 cup quinoa, cover and reduce to a light simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, let sit for 5 minutes then fluff with a fork.
- Add the diced onion, garlic and grated beet to a pan and cook for 7-10 minutes until softened.
- While they’re cooking, add the oats to a food processor and process into flour. It’s okay if it’s a little grainy, it doesn’t have to be super fine.
- Add the rest of the burger ingredients to the food processor, including the cooked beet mixture and mix until well combined. It should be quite smooth but not totally processed, a few chunky bits and bites are ok.
- Shape the mixture into 8 patties.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and add some non-stick cooking spray. Add the patties and cook for about 5-10 minutes per side. I kept flipping them over for about 15 minutes until they were nice and crisped on the outside. Just make sure the pan isn’t too hot so you don’t burn them.
- Enjoy hot on a toasted bun with your favourite toppings.
- Storing: Raw patties can be prepped and stored in the fridge for 1-2 days before cooking. To store cooked patties, let cool then store cooked patties in a sealed container for up to 5 days in the fridge or 3 months in the freezer. If freezing, I’d suggest placing a square of wax or parchment paper between patties so they don’t stick together.
- Reheating: Let thaw overnight in the fridge if frozen then reheat in the microwave, stovetop or oven until heated to your preference. Ok to enjoy cold too, they’re great added to salads and bowls!
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 107
- Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 20 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 4 g
Keywords: quinoa beet burger, beet veggie burger, quinoa veggie burger