Buttery snowball cookies with toasted pecans coated in powdered sugar for a classic Christmas cookie perfect for cookie platters or a cookie exchange.
- Beat Butter and Sugar: In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar using a hand mixer or stand mixer with a paddle attachment until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add Vanilla: Add the vanilla and beat until fully combined.
- Add Flour, Cornstarch & Salt: Slowly beat in the flour, cornstarch, and salt. Start at a low-speed and increase to medium-high speed until you have a uniformly mixed dough.
- Add Pecans: Once the dough is uniformly mixed, briefly beat in the chopped pecans.
- Chill Dough: Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes (or up to 24 hours). If you’re making the dough the day before, wrap well in plastic wrap and place in a sealed container to store.
- Prepare for Baking: Preheat the oven to 350˚F (177˚C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bake Cookies: After chilling, remove the bowl from the refrigerator and use a small cookie scoop to create approximately 18 cookies, placing them on the lined baking sheet. Bake for 13-15 minutes, until bottom edges are just lightly browned. I baked mine for 15 minutes.
- Coat in Powdered Sugar: Let cookies cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes. While they’re cooling, add the remaining powdered sugar to a small bowl. Coat each cookie in sugar, transferring each to a cooling rack after coated to finish cooling. Once fully cooled, coat a second time in powdered sugar (optional). The first layer of sugar will somewhat melt into the cookies and the second coating will create that pretty snowball effect!
Storing: Once cooled, place cookies in an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 5 days. For long-term storage, baked cookies can be frozen in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
Toasted Pecan Snowballs: Preheat the oven to 350 F while you’re preparing the ingredients. Toast the pecans on a sheet pan for 5-7 minutes while you’re preparing the dough.
- Serving Size: 1 snowball
- Calories: 93
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 81 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 12 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 1 g
Keywords: pecan snowball cookies, snowball cookies with pecans