Easy and delicious plant-based tacos filled with spicy peanut chickpeas and a simple cabbage slaw.
For the Slaw
- 200 g coleslaw cabbage mix (about 3 ½ cups)
- 1 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper
For the Peanut Sauce
- 3 tbsp natural peanut butter (45 g)
- 1 tsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1–2 tsp Sriracha or sambal oelek
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 3–4 tbsp warm water, to thin
For the Tacos
- 1–15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp oil or water
- 1/2 of a red bell pepper, diced
- 1 shallot, peeled and thinly sliced (50 g)
- 3 tbsp toasted peanuts or cashews, for topping
- finely chopped cilantro, for topping
- 6 corn or flour tortillas
- Make the Slaw: Add all of the slaw ingredients to a large bowl and mix to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Make the Peanut Sauce: Add all of the peanut sauce ingredients to a small bowl and whisk until smooth. Slowly add warm water one tablespoon at a time, until a pourable sauce is achieved.
- Make the Chickpeas: Heat a large non-stick pan over medium-hight heat. Add 2 tsp oil or water then add the chickpeas, peppers and shallots. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 4-6 min, stirring occasionally, until veggies are tender and chickpeas are golden brown.
- Add Sauce: Add the peanut sauce. Cook for 1-2 min, to warm through.
- Serve: If desired, warm tortillas in a pan before serving. To assemble tacos, divide peanut chickpeas between 6 tacos, then add some slaw on top.
- Sprinkle peanuts and remaining cilantro over top. Drizzle with more sriracha or hot sauce, if desired. Serve remaining slaw on the side.
Nutrition facts include 2 corn or wheat tortillas and 1/3 of the chickpea mixture and slaw plus peanuts for topping.
- Serving Size: 2 tacos
- Calories: 543
- Fat: 23 g
- Carbohydrates: 66 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Protein: 19 g
Keywords: chickpea tacos, easy chickpea tacos