For the Tofu
For the Orange Sauce:
- 5 garlic cloves, minced or grated (20g/ 1 tbsp)
- 2-inch piece ginger, minced or grated (20g/ 1 tbsp)
- ¾ cup fresh orange juice (juice from 3 oranges – could also sub 100% pure orange juice)
- 2 tsp orange zest (be sure to use peel only and not the white “pith”, as it’s bitter)
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar or brown syrup (44g)
- ¾ tsp sriracha
- ¼ cup cold water + 1 tbsp cornstarch
For the Veggies:
- 4 cups broccoli florets (285g)
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced (180g)
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced (180g)
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- cooked jasmine rice or basmati rice, for serving
- toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- Press Tofu: Cut tofu in half lengthwise, so you have two thinner rectangles, then wrap in clean kitchen towels. Place on a dinner plate or cutting board. Weigh tofu down with a heavy object like a cast iron skillet, or large pot for at least 20 minutes. Alternatively, use a tofu press.
- Mix Orange Sauce: To a medium bowl, add garlic, ginger, orange juice, orange zest, soy sauce, rice vinegar, coconut sugar and sriracha. Whisk to combine. Add water and cornstarch mixture and whisk until fully combined. Set aside.
- Prepare Tofu for Frying: Cube the tofu or tear into bite-sized pieces (¾-1 inch). Add tofu, cornstarch, garlic powder, salt and pepper to a large bowl. Toss to coat.
- Fry Tofu: In a large non-stick skillet, heat 1 tbsp oil of choice over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add tofu. Cook for 8-10 min, flipping tofu occasionally, until golden-brown and crisp on all sides. Transfer tofu to a plate and set aside.
- Cook Veggies: To the same pan, over medium-high, add broccoli, peppers and 3/4 of the green onion (reserve some for topping). You may have to add another 2 tsp oil here, if there is not enough reserved oil left in the pan. Cook veggies for 4-6 mins, stirring occasionally, until tender-crisp.
- Add Sauce & Tofu: Add orange sauce and cook for 1-2 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken. Add the tofu to the pan. Cook for 3-4 mins, until sauce thickens and veggies and tofu are well coated.
- Serve: Serve over rice. Sprinkle with remaining green onions and toasted sesame seeds.
Nutrition facts do not include rice for serving.
Storing: Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat in a pan or the microwave until heated through.
If you just want to make the tofu and not the veggie stir fry. I’d suggest doubling the tofu (use 1.5-2 packages) or halving the sauce. You could leave the amounts as written if you like, it will just very saucy! The orange tofu can be served as an appetizer or side dish on its own or with rice.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 267
- Sugar: 23 g
- Sodium: 777 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 41 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 15 g
Keywords: orange tofu, vegan orange tofu