- 2 x 0.5 oz (14 g) package mixed dried mushrooms (28 g total)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed (10 g)
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 cups vegetable stock (1250 mL)
- 1 cup wild rice blend (250 ml)
- 2 tbsp olive oil (30 ml, use water or broth for oil-free)
- 1 medium onion diced (200 g)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 can full fat coconut milk, shake well before opening (400 mL)
- 1 tsp salt, or more to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper
- Bring the vegetable stock to a boil in a large pot on the stovetop.
- Once it boils, remove the pot from heat and add the mushrooms, garlic and bay leaf. Let soak uncovered for 20 minutes.
- While the mushrooms are rehydrating in the broth, rinse the wild rice with cold water. Add the rinsed rice to a bowl, cover with cold water and soak for at least 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, strain the mushrooms, garlic and bay leaf over a bowl, reserving the stock in the bowl for later. Make sure you don’t dump the broth down the sink! Discard the bay leaf and finely chop the mushrooms and garlic.
- Place the pot back on the stovetop and add the olive oil, onions, thyme and oregano. Saute until translucent and fragrant, approximately 5 minutes.
- While the onions are cooking, stain the rice if you haven’t already.
- When the onions have softened, add the mushrooms, garlic, reserved vegetable stock from earlier, coconut milk and soaked wild rice.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove the lid and lightly simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- Check rice after 15 minutes as some rice blends may take longer than others. If it’s still underdone, cook for a few more minutes, otherwise, season with the salt and pepper and enjoy.
Storing: Let cool then store in a sealed container for up to 4 days in the fridge. Note that the soup will thicken after storing and becomes more like a stew or risotto. You can enjoy as is or adjust the consistency to your preference by adding broth or water.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 195
- Fat: 12 g
- Carbohydrates: 19 g
- Protein: 3 g
Keywords: mushroom wild rice soup, vegan mushroom wild rice soup