These vegan Mediterranean quinoa stuffed peppers that make a healthy, flavourful and delicious meal any night of the week.
- 4 large assorted color bell peppers, halved lengthwise and seeds removed
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained (170 g)
- 2 cups vegetable broth (500 mL)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (15 g)
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (12 g)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 15 0z can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (40 g)
- 15 oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup pitted and chopped kalamata olives (90 g)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp fresh lemon zest
- 2 ounces dairy-free feta, crumbled (1/3 cup, 56 g)
- 1/2 cup packed fresh-leaf parsley, minced and divided (20 g)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (28 g)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a large baking dish or baking sheet with cooking spray or oil. Arrange the peppers in the baking dish and set aside.
- Place the quinoa and vegetable broth in a medium sauce pot. Bring to a boil then stir, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until liquid is fully absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove the lid and fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat.
- Once hot, add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes until slightly softened.
- Add the garlic and spices to the skillet, stir and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes and tomato paste, stir to combine and cook an additional 3-5 minutes until most of the liquid from the diced tomatoes is cooked off.
- Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Place the cannellini beans, olives, lemon zest, lemon juice, feta and ¾ of the minced parsley in a large bowl.
- Add the mixture from the skillet and the cooked quinoa. Mix until full combined. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mixture into the halved peppers and place on the prepared baking dish.
- Cover the dish loosely with aluminum foil and bake for 25 to 35 minutes depending on how crisp you like the peppers.
- Remove from the oven, top the chopped walnuts, reserved minced parsley and additional crumbled vegan feta, if desired.
Each serving is 2 filled pepper halves.
Refrigerate peppers in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Reheat leftovers in a baking dish in the oven at 350F. Freeze them in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
- Serving Size: 2 stuffed halves
- Calories: 317
- Sugar: 8 g
- Fat: 10 g
- Carbohydrates: 47 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Protein: 14 g
Keywords: vegan stuffed peppers, mediterranean stuffed peppers