For the Salad
- 400 g uncooked orzo (2.5 cups)
- 1/3 cup diced red onion (55 g)
- 1.5 cups halved cherry or grape tomatoes (225 g)
- 1 heaping cup diced cucumber, seeds removed (150 g)
- 1 19 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (540 ml, 2.5 cups)
- 1 6 oz can sliced black olives (200 ml)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (10 g)
For the Dressing
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (60 ml)
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, optional (30 g)
For the Optional Tofu Feta
- 175 g firm or extra-firm tofu, pressed (approx. 1/2 cup crumbled)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- In a large pot cook orzo according to package instructions.
- While the orzo is cooking, add the chickpeas and chopped vegetables to a large mixing bowl and mix throughly.
- Use a citrus planer or fine grater to prepare the lemon zest from the peel of the lemon. If you don’t have a fine grater or planer, cut off some of the peel and very finely chop until you have 2 tbsp. Add the zest and the rest of the dressing ingredients to a bowl and whisk together with a fork.
- Once the orzo is cooked, drain and rinse well with cold water until cooled.
- Mix with the chopped vegetables and dressing.
- Serve topped with a sprinkle of the tofu feta.
Tofu Feta: Press tofu for at least 20 minutes (see instructions on how to press tofu here). Crumble pressed tofu into a container and mix with the rest of the ingredients. Let sit for at least 30 minutes. Sprinkle on salad when serving.
Storing: Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 189
- Sodium: 194 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 31 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 5 g
Keywords: mediterranean orzo salad, vegan orzo salad