Try this delicious and healthy option to mashed potatoes and gravy at your next holiday meal. A whole bulb of roasted garlic gives the mashed cauliflower amazing garlic flavour. The mushroom gravy is low in fat, tastes great and goes with all your holiday favourites.
- 1/2 a white onion
- 10 small white or crimini mushrooms, thinly sliced (for darker gravy, use crimini mushrooms)
- 5 tbsp brown rice flour
- 3 tbsp soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
- 1 tsp each onion powder, garlic powder, dried thyme and dried sage
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 – 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, or more to taste
- Add the onion and mushrooms to a sauce pan with 1-2 tbsp of the vegetable broth and cook over medium heat until softened and lightly browned, about 8-9 minutes. If the pan starts to dry out, add a little more broth 1-2 tbsp at a time, deglazing and scrapping the bottom of the as you go.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, starting with 1 cup of broth. Stir over medium heat until thick and creamy, slowly adding more broth until you reach your desired consistency.
- Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired. Serve as is or blend for smooth gravy.
The gravy recipe makes about 1 quart which is quite a bit. If you’re only serving a few people, you might want to cut it in half. The gravy can be made in advance and re-heated in the microwave or stovetop. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge in an air-tight container for up to 4 days.
Keywords: vegan gravy, mushroom gravy recipe