This vegan lentil shepherd’s pie is the ultimate plant-based comfort food. Enjoy this hearty main dish during the holidays or anytime of year for a filling and satisfying meal.
For the Lentil Filling
- 3 cups finely chopped white or crimini mushrooms (225 g approx.)
- 1 medium onion, diced (175 g, 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed or grated (15 g)
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped (5 g) or 1 tsp dry
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped (5 g) or 1 tsp dry
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup frozen peas (130 g)
- 1 cup frozen corn (130 g)
- 3 stalks celery chopped (150 g approx. 2 cup)
- 1 cup dry brown lentils (225 g or 2 cups cooked)
- 1/4 cup tamari (60 ml)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste (28 g)
- 1 cup vegetable stock
For the Potato Topping
- Cook Lentils: In a medium pot place 1 cup of dried lentils with 3 cups of water, and a pinch of salt. Cook for 15 minutes over medium heat until lentils are tender, once cooked drain off the water and reserve the lentils for later.
- Cook Potatoes: Put peeled potatoes in a large pot and cover with water, bring to a boil and cook until potatoes can be pierced with a fork.
- Mash Potatoes: Once cooked, drain and place the potatoes back in the pot. Add the olive oil, milk, salt and pepper. Using a potato masher, mash potatoes until smooth in texture.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Saute Veggies and Herbs: Over medium heat, saute the chopped mushrooms, onions, garlic, celery, and fresh herbs until soft with 1 tbsp olive oil for roughly about 2-3 minutes.
- Add Flour: Once the vegetables are softened, sprinkle 2 tbsp of all purpose flour and stir together.
- Add Tomato Paste and Liquids: Add the tomato paste, tamari and vegetable stock, stir well and bring to a simmer.
- Add Lentils, Corn and Peas: Mix in the cooked lentils along with the corn and peas. Taste for seasoning and adjust if needed with salt and pepper. Cook for 4-5 minnutes until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Layer in Baking Dish: Place lentil mixture into a 9x13in baking dish and top with mashed potatoes. Smooth until you have an even layer of mashed potatoes covering the lentils.
- Bake: Place the dish on a baking tray (prevents a mess in case of any spillage) and bake uncovered for 25-30 mins at 350 degrees F. Optional: broil for 1-2 minutes at the end to achieve more browning and crispiness on top.
- Cool Briefly: Let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving. The longer it sits, the more it will thicken.
Storing: Let cool then store in a sealed container for up to 5 days in the fridge or 3 months in the freezer. If frozen, thaw overnight in the fridge. Reheat in the oven or microwave until heated to your preference.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 403
- Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 72 g
- Protein: 13 g
Keywords: lentil shepherds pie, vegan shepherds pie