This vegan lentil shepherd’s pie is the ultimate plant-based comfort food. Enjoy this hearty main dish during the holidays or anytime of year for a filling and satisfying meal.
For the Lentil Filling
- 3 cups finely chopped white or crimini mushrooms (225 g approx.)
- 1 medium onion, diced (175 g, 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic (15g)
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme chopped (5g) or 1 tsp dry
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped (5g) or 1 tsp dry
- 1 cup frozen peas (130 g)
- 1 cup frozen corn (130 g)
- 3 stalks celery chopped (150 g approx. 2 cup)
- 1 cup dry lentils (225 g or 2 cups cooked)
- 1/4 cup tamari (60 ml)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste (28 g)
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
For the Potato Topping
- In a medium pot place 1 cup of dried lentils with 3 cups of water, and a pinch of salt. Cook for 15 minutes over medium heat until lentils are tender, once cooked drain off the water and reserve for later.
- Put peeled potatoes in a large pot and cover with water, bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender to the touch. Once cooked, strain off excess water, add your olive oil, milk, and seasoning. Using a potato masher, mash potatoes until smooth in texture, reserve for later.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Over medium, saute the chopped mushrooms, onions, garlic, celery, and fresh herbs until soft with a splash of olive oil for roughly about 2-3 minutes. Once the vegetables are softened, sprinkle 2 tbsp of all purpose flour and stir together.
- Add the tomato paste, tamari and vegetable stock, stir well and bring to a simmer.
- Fold in the cooked lentils from earlier along with the corn and peas.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust if needed with salt and pepper. Cook for a few more minutes until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Place lentil mixture into a 9x13in baking dish, top with mashed potato mixture from earlier and smooth until you have an even layer of mashed potatoes covering the lentils.
- Place the dish on a baking tray (prevents a mess in case of any spillage) and bake uncovered for 25 – 30 mins at 350 degrees F.
- Optional: broil for 1-2 minutes to achieve more browning and crispiness on top.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving. The longer it sits, the more it will thicken.
- Storing: Let cool then store in a sealed container for up to 5 days in the fridge or 3 months in the freezer. If frozen, thaw overnight in the fridge. Reheat in the oven or microwave until heated to your preference.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 403
- Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 72 g
- Protein: 13 g
Keywords: lentil shepherds pie, vegan shepherds pie